cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Motors Compatibility on Mobile and App a huge issue

You've put eBay motors sellers into a huge issue. Here one reason why:

• Removed listings in violation of eBay’s duplicate listing policy. Even when you have listings such as connector cables or auto parts that are identical except for the fact that they fit certain models, the policy specifies limitations on how many separate listings you can have. It is also important to use eBay parts compatibility format if available in the category you are listing.

You see they want us to use compatibility. In fact the new formats coming over from DCI(not that we use them) and other sellers adapted to your compatibilty. Meaning, a part that fits 4 different models with a bunch of Sub-Models each would be all in one listing. This could be 100's if not thousands of vehicles. A title such as " (Brand) (part #) (keywords). The keywords do not mention make model or submodel as the compatibility acts in such a way and like I said, sellers adapted and trusted you to make it work on all devices and view of website. On a side note: I always wondered how removing such keywords from titles worked with search engine SEO as that goes completely against it. 

The compatiblity does not work on mobile or app. On the app, you can select vehicle and search, but only if you search by category and enter such vehicle. If you use the main search, well its the same issue as mobile. I've tested all this, but correct me if I'm wrong.

So you don't want duplicate listings, yet your compatibility doesn't work for a large portion of your customers. You've screwed this up so badly, I can't but sit here and ask who was in charge? They need to be fired. Not only have questions like "Does this fit my vehicle" arisen and is costing CS hours from sellers, returns go up for buying wrong product. Most of which are opened as "Item does not fit" or "Not as described". That means, no restocking and 100% refund. Thank for that eBay, $10,000s lost per year. Yes, we ship a lot of larger items. It can get much worse if that customer leaves a bad review and a greater chance at a case being filed and quickly escalated.

I must run now and unfortunately I do not have time to reread this, edit or even return back here. I'll forget about it very quickly. Just thought that, this should be documented

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I am not 100% following. You are using the same title, several times? That is not allowed.

You are thinking like a seller, not a buyer. I have been saying this to sellers for years. Buyers think and search a lot differently than sellers do. 

Part # in the title? Does not belong there. It belongs in ItemSpecifics as that is Google searchable. Customers search using their make and model, put that in the title.  Customers, generally, do not understand parts compatibility. They do not understand how one part can fit different cars. They like to see their car specifically mentioned.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

I am not 100% following. You are using the same title, several times? That is not allowed.

You are thinking like a seller, not a buyer. I have been saying this to sellers for years. Buyers think and search a lot differently than sellers do. 

Part # in the title? Does not belong there. It belongs in ItemSpecifics as that is Google searchable. Customers search using their make and model, put that in the title.  Customers, generally, do not understand parts compatibility. They do not understand how one part can fit different cars. They like to see their car specifically mentioned.

Does that mean as a seller he has to do some extra work to make the sale?  😄 😄

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Yeah, a lot of them want to do one listing and just duplicate it all to heck.

Oddly, OP has not sold anything on this ID in over a year. 

"Exterior accessories"? Like, stickers that go on the door handles?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Vehicle compatibility on eBay also violates one of the fundamental principles of database design, a major mistake I would not expect eBay to have made.

There are parts lookup databases all over the internet. Most retailers provide the service, and so do the manufacturers of the parts and the autos they fit on.

To ask an eBay seller to provide this information yet again introduces one more failure point that  doesn't have to exist; a seller can mistakenly list a part as fitting the wrong vehicle, or not fitting a vehicle that is in fact compatible.

The buyer can screw up too. The part being purchased may not fit on the vehicle in question because it was sold in a specific market or contract, or because the vehicle was modified before the buyer got a hold of it. None of this is the seller's fault.

I wouldn't trust an eBay seller to tell me if a part fits my car when I can go right to the people who built the car and find out for sure. I trust the seller to tell me what part he has, as specifically as possible. That is all the information I need to find out if it fits my specific vehicle.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply