cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice from used car dealers

Hello! I have a seat cover business that I have found success selling direct to consumer but I am looking to expand to selling to used car dealers. The business launched 15 months ago and from my experience people love my seat covers, so I am looking for feedback on what type of things used car dealers would need to know to buy the covers from me. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Having come from such a background, most used car dealers have vendors that they use over and over and over.  Not seat covers, seat covers are a cosmetic fix.  They have accounts with auto repair, upholstery shops, tire shops, etc. 

The only way to get them to use you is to visit them, in person, talk your products up and offer them deals.  These people deal in a large number of vehicles and they want someone who can do it all, quickly, perfectly and bill them at the end of the month.

Anything less is not worth their time.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I understand what you are looking for, but you are asking for advice on eBays platform about sales outside of same. (maybe?)  eBay fronds on things not being sold on their platform being talked about on their site or recommending other sites. 

Now that being said, I worked for about 10 years at a smaller New/Used dealership. In all those 10 years, we never did any more then clean the interior and detail after going through inspection and maybe once in a while did a little dent removal on the used cars/trucks. If cars were that bad, few were, they went to auction. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@grantpaw5,

Is what you are making fitted slip over type covers or actual reupholstering of a seat?  I don't see new/used car dealers, being interested in covers no matter how well they fit.  Wholesalers on the other hand, especially the ones that sell to smaller independent lots may be interested, as well as small lot owners themselves. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

As a former dealer, we had LOTS of vehicles repaired and upholstery redone.  I referred it to the shop and most of the time they made the seat covers or cut them apart and did the repair pieces.

On one of my personal cars, I did buy complete seat skins that were leather and an exact replica of what the factory used.  One of the few times that I bought the entire seat skin.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Realize you are competing with auto wreckers.  They have the seats from wrecked vehicles that are correct, complete and ready to quickly install at cheap prices.  To compete, you cannot be good, you have to be fast and cheap. 

Check your competition and see if that's even feasible.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply