cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does eBay motors work?

Hello I'm looking for a car on eBay at auctions. I would like you to explain how it works because I have noticed that in certain cases and after several bids where the minimum value is not reached the car is no longer sold. For the doubt is if I am the greatest attractor, because I have no right to stay with the car because if the minimum value was not reached the auction should start at the minimum desired value and reach a value that the interested party found fair. Do you have something to clarify? Thank you, I accept a review

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Seller's decide at what price they want to start a vehicle, and some choose to use reserve prices.

So, it the vehicle does not meet the reserve price, it goes unsold.

Some sellers start the price at the least they are willing to take for the vehicle, again it is the seller who decides how they want to sell a vehicle.

Vehicle sales are non-binding, so the buyer or the seller can walk away at anytime for any reason they see fit without penalty. So, if a seller doesn't want to sell a vehicle for the price it realized, they don't have to.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

You need to inspect the car.  Do NOT use prepaid cards to pay. If they ask you for that, it's a scam.  There are alot of scam car dealers on ebay.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Thank you, but I continue to weigh almost pure speculation, as they are interested how much the car can be worth in the market or they want to select buyers who can actually pay more than the minimum amount.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@humberto.couto,

Many sellers who use eBay Motors, are inexperienced at using eBay to sell.  They often start auctions at lower prices than they should.  However, because bids on autos are not binding, neither a seller or buyer has to complete a sale.  While eBay does say a seller should complete a vehicle auction at the ending price, they do not have the ability to force a buyer to pay, or a seller to sell.  The cost to sell a vehicle with a reserve price, in the U.S. for a low volume seller (less than 6 vehicles per calander year) is $125 and having a reserve price often dissuades people from bidding.

What the reserve fee is in Europe, may be higher or lower. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

"Or they want to sellect the buyers" is correct.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

While eBay does say a seller should complete a vehicle auction at the ending price, they do not have the ability to force a buyer to pay, or a seller to sell. 

Well, the prospect of negative feedback can be pretty forceful for most frequent sellers. Too many negs and they won't be able to sell a snowmobile to an Eskimo. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Hey i just purchased a car on ebay motors how does that work i used the prepaid cards and they asking for more insurce for more money
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Scam! You saw this on some other site correct? You already lost the first payment you sent. Now they are asking for more.  The more money you send the more you will lose! Don't send any more!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Zombie thread. Beat ya to it Mr.E.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

ACK!
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote: