cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harley Davidson - gas tank ID

Hello all, I am  reaching out to the Ebay Community in hopes that someone can help me ID a Harley 883 gas tank...I attach pics - It is orange, says Harley Davidson 883, is duel chamber and  has a white enamel bottom.  I think it might be vintage 1970s but I have not been able to find anything on line to show 883 (may it is XL883?) . Anyway if anyone knows Harley's can you please take a look and advise year, make model and value?  I am raffling it off and wanted to provide a description.  Harley 883 gas tank pic .jpegHarley 883 gas tank pic 1.jpegHarley 883 gas tank pic 2.jpegHarley 883 gas tank pic 3.jpeg

Thank you ever so much.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

So a Harley-Davidson dealer would not be able to help you? 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

This is a reserve fuel tank for a 1987 Volvo 740 GLE wagon.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

For an automobile? ? 
it says Harley and would not be for an auto 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

First I don't think that Orange is the Right Color on the Tank its been

Painted,  second I think somebody Painted that to fool people into

thinking its Special.!

Like somebody  said take it to a Harley Dealer they will tell you

what year its from, I think its from the 80s or 90s or even Newer

Just my 3.5 cents

Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Harley did offer an orange color and a color called Copperhead. Due to pics and color samples being what they are I cannot tell which it is.

Guessing a bit,  I think that tank is from the late 2000s or early teens based on the fuel cap. The 883 did not come out until the mid 1980s (1986 etc) so the 70s are out.

As for value this is one of those all depends upon who is buying and how badly they want it. I would think it should bring 50 bucks at least or more if someone needs a color matched tank.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

It's just an inexpensive aftermarket flat bottomed peanut tank with an aftermarket cap. You will need a special little two-pronged 'key' to open the cap. If that fuel valve reads "pingel" it is a quality part; if not, it's a cheap knockoff. It looks like those front tabs are cracked from vibration maybe. Maybe $50 online, $25 at a swap meet.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

We are all wrong. At a Mecum televised cycle auction a week or so ago some misc. bike parts were out for bids first.

This exact tank and both matching fenders were up for bids. It was stated to be for a 2003 model and  the bidding ended at around 1300 dollars. More than I figured but worth it if originality is desired.

I don't think those are cracks at the front tabs. I've owned several Sportsters and used Sportster gas tanks on a few custom bikes and they all ended up looking like that. Just paint cracking and peeling.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's one in its original habitat

2003-sportster883-16.jpg

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

That is a 2.2 gallon aftermarket tank with 3.3 gallon decals on it. In 1993 they offered a very select few 2.2 gallon tanks with a different decal. If Harley had painted it it would be orange underneath. Here is an NOS set. It has a couple initials underneath as Harley tanks did most likely for inspection purposes. Also all three of mine have a number 76 followed by letter a b or c to signify their imaging set.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I have heard that some 1987 Volvo station wagons were equipped with this tank.  

Message 11 of 11
latest reply