cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY Motors scammed my family 800.00 LOSS

It was less than 24 hours when I contacted EBAY to inquire about the legitimacy of being required to pay an additional 600 insurance fee to deliver a vehicle by a supposed "verified ebay motors/offer up seller" who cashed my 800.00 in EBAY gift cards, provided what appeared to be a totally legit invoice, confirmation, details of vehicle location, owner and carfax info., name and address of seller, emailed me several times during this transaction with "concern" and sob story, and even though I sent all emails from beginning to end which initiated via offer up (who I also feel is responsible), invoices, ebay card #s (4/200), receipt and processing notifications and thank you email, plus ebay canceled the cards which were zeroed out already but in a guys ebay acct (evidence), they still refused to refund the funds nor would they retrieve the funds from the personal ebay acct as they had cashed  and deposited into the fraudulent acct.  Devastated and loss taken.. not ok.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

@chrfigu_16 

eBay had nothing to do with it.

The item was not found on eBay, nor was it being sold on eBay.

You were scammed by someone presenting fake eBay info.

Report the issue to the site where you found the item.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

@chrfigu_16 

Sorry that happened, but gift cards are like giving people cash.

Once you gave the scammers the card numbers, the money was gone and there's no way to get it back.

You need to report the ad to the site you found it on and file a police report.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Thank you... I appreciate your message.  Police cannot do anything but take a report and file it,... they have more important cases to work on.  Just unfortunate because everything showed ebay motors/ebay gift cards, etc.  

With the proof of the emails/scam and access to the scammers ebay acct. that my $ was deposited into you would only pray that they could reverse the funds and charge his acct.. I am sure it isn't the first time, nor the last.  I purchase a lot of items off offer up, never this experience 😞

Have a great night

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

thank you, I did.  Ebay does have the info.  

Won't do it again, lesson learned

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

You don't need any proof, it is a common scam that eBay had nothing to do with. The item wasn't listed on eBay, you didn't purchase it through eBay. You were communicating directly with a scammer who provided you with fake invoices with the eBay logo copy and pasted on it. I'm sorry this happened to you, but people come to the boards every single day, sometimes multiple times a day about losing money this way or almost losing money this way. There is no way to stop it, the thief is probably sitting in an internet cafe in Nigeria.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@chrfigu_16 wrote:

I am sure it isn't the first time, nor the last.

We hear about this scam, or a form of it almost every day and some people have lost thousands.

Since Ebay didn't have anything to do with the transaction, there isn't much they can do.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Old scam. Someone posts about getting taken in by this one at least once a day.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Gift cards need to just be banned already. They're nothing but trouble. Nobody is ever 'happy' to receive one as a 'gift'.

And let's think about them logically:

"Hi there, I have this $100, it's cash, accepted anywhere by almost anyone. I'd like to turn it into something that can only be used here, and has an inactive use fee that will drain the entire balance if not used in a certain amount of time. That's great thanks." 🙄

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

You were scammed. The time to verify the legitimacy was before you sent the first $800 in gift cards. If it wasn't here on ebay.com and you didn't use ebay check out you do not have the ebay MBG to protect you now. Anything else listed anywhere else is a scam. With ebay checkout you can pay however you want to. The seller has no say in what funding source you use. Paying with gift cards is part of the scam. Gift cards are not traceable, once you gave them the codes they took the money. In the future, if a seller ever asks you to pay with gift cards, throw up the red flag. Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

There is no eBay account with that money in it.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

@chrfigu_16 wrote:

Thank you... I appreciate your message.  Police cannot do anything but take a report and file it,... they have more important cases to work on.  Just unfortunate because everything showed ebay motors/ebay gift cards, etc.  

With the proof of the emails/scam and access to the scammers ebay acct. that my $ was deposited into you would only pray that they could reverse the funds and charge his acct.. I am sure it isn't the first time, nor the last.  I purchase a lot of items off offer up, never this experience 😞

Have a great night

But it was not an eBay account.  There never was an eBay account.  eBay had nothing to do with the transaction.  You were never in contact with eBay.   There never was a vehicle.   The gift cards have long since been used, probably by someone outside the USA, and the purchases made with them were made using stolen credit cards.  You fell for an old, and common, scam.  You lost $800 on that too-good-to-be-true deal.   Others have lost thousands.  

Does anyone on OfferUp ask ou to pay with gift cards?  Of course not.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Hi everyone,

If you believe that you or someone you know was scammed into buying eBay Gift Cards, visit our gift card page to contact customer service and find additional information related to gift card scams.

Thank you.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

When I Buy a Car there are a Couple of Thing's I Do

1. I take a Look at it or Send somebody to look at it.!

2. Listen to it Run & make there are No Noise's in the Engine.!

3. Take it for a Ride

4.  Only give Cash when I See Title.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 14 of 29
latest reply

I think it's safe to say that with the sending out of those 1400 dollar stimulus checks there is going to be a rash of late model cars, trucks, ATVs, motor homes, bulldozers, track hoes, etc; all for 1400 with free shipping and a money back guarantee listed on CL, Offer Up, Face Book, and so on . Followed by a rash of "How do I get my money back" questions.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply