cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto purchase with miles higher than advertised.

I bought a car on Ebay from a dealer. I am also a licensed dealer. It was advertised with 30k miles. The seller confirmed this. The AutoCheck provided by Ebay also confirmed this. Once I received the car I had to do some reconditioning before I sold it locally. When it was ready for sale a buyer came with a Carfax Report that showed that the car had almost 4 times the miles. No response from the seller. Do I have any recourse with Ebay's insurance since I was also depending on the Ebay provided AutoCheck Report?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Make, year and model would help. Hope not a lot of time has passed since the the sale. You only have 30 days from item close to get eBay to help, if they will. Most state Motor Vehicle agencies take a very dim view of odometer fraud, so you might want to report it to the seller's state as well as your own.

eBay does not have a good record with helping eBay motors buyers with vehicle fraud. Had a new customer bring his eBay-purchased '82 MB 300td wagon to the shop for a check over. Mechanic put it up in the air and noted a LOT of visible wear and tear. I ask the customer for the eBay item number and checked it on eBay. Listing was for same year and color (about a dozen nice pictures), but the serial number on the car he received was different than the one the listing. He was so excited to get his new Benz, he just let the delivery driver roll it off the truck without checking the VIN. Mileage was similar, but the car obviously had a lot more miles than shown on the clock.

I called eBay for the customer, but since the sale was past 30 days, they refused to do anything about it.

Really sad sequel about the car was it showed back up at the shop a couple of years later with a new owner who didn't have a clue about the car's history.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Make, year and model would help. Hope not a lot of time has passed since the the sale. You only have 30 days from item close to get eBay to help, if they will. Most state Motor Vehicle agencies take a very dim view of odometer fraud, so you might want to report it to the seller's state as well as your own.

eBay does not have a good record with helping eBay motors buyers with vehicle fraud. Had a new customer bring his eBay-purchased '82 MB 300td wagon to the shop for a check over. Mechanic put it up in the air and noted a LOT of visible wear and tear. I ask the customer for the eBay item number and checked it on eBay. Listing was for same year and color (about a dozen nice pictures), but the serial number on the car he received was different than the one the listing. He was so excited to get his new Benz, he just let the delivery driver roll it off the truck without checking the VIN. Mileage was similar, but the car obviously had a lot more miles than shown on the clock.

I called eBay for the customer, but since the sale was past 30 days, they refused to do anything about it.

Really sad sequel about the car was it showed back up at the shop a couple of years later with a new owner who didn't have a clue about the car's history.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply