cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caution: HONDA USA/CANADA SCAM

dwc1267
Enthusiast

Thinking about buying a Honda? Think again.
Honda Inc. practices deceit and questionable ethics to prevent the common citizen who has purchased a used vehicle across the border.

One of 4 documents needed to import a vehicle across the border is the Recall Clearance Letter from the manufacturer. You are instructed to contact Honda at a toll free number 1-800-999-1009 and informed the letter is free and will be mailed or faxed to you. You are then asked for the V.I.N. #, name, telephone number, and address.
After providing this information you are informed your vehicle is a "grey market vehicle" and they refuse to provide the letter; circumventing the NAFTA (free trade agreement) & Importing/Exporting procedures between the countries of USA & CANADA.

A non-tariff barrier of this kind is sneaky behaviour designed to restrict the benefits of NAFTA to the average person on the street.

A tragedy results in that the buyer has been bankrupted or experiences significant financial loss having purchased a used vehicle, having met all legal requirements but ambushed by Honda Inc. USA/CANADA. Perhaps there is validity to the term Corporate Fascism after all, when it supersedes governments and trade relationships.

Once a loyal Honda customer for 16 years, having purchased new vehicles in my own country; now cautioning every friend, family member, citizen of the deceitful and questionable ethical practice of Honda USA/CAN.

Buyer Beware!
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Don't' buy gray market bikes unless you just want a garage ornament......
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

dwc1267
Enthusiast
Latest Update:

Contacted Canadian Customs and the Registrar of Imported Vehicles to learn that they are exempting the required letter From Honda Inc. when crossing the border and are able to research it themselves. This kind action by Canadian Customs provides justice for the consumer and counters the Honda Disinformation Campaign.

Call 1-888-848-8240 to confirm with R.I.V.
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

rentalthomas
Enthusiast
I confirmed the above today. Talked with RIV agent and he directed me to www.honda.com, click owner link and register the VIN of the vehicle you are trying to import. Once registered, click the recalls icon and then print the results page for RIV
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

rockit7
Enthusiast
Do you guys have any info on registering a mc after importing into the US from Canada?
I'm trying to get a 2002 Honda CR250R registered and titled in California. What a drag this is!
I'm almost there though, I just need to proove to the CA Air Resources Board, that this is the same bike that was sold in California in 2002. Anyone know how I can do that? Or do you have any official letter head from Honda and I will do it myself 🙂
Thanks
robert.davis@cardinal.com
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

ipressdaily
Enthusiast
I just brought in a Honda Civic. I almost had a conniption when Honda told me that I had a grey market vehicle and needed a US Drivers Licence, US Ownership, US Insurance before they would send me a clearance letter. Fortunately I found this web site quickly and went ahead. RIV was very pleasant and there were no problems. I just printed out the information of the HONDA customer web site and submitted that to RIV. 🙂
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

ddbalram
Enthusiast
I have a question. If you are able to successfully import a Honda vehicle into Canada i.e. the RIV has worked with you to workaround the Recall letter, what then happens to the vehicle warranty? Will Honda then honour the warranty on the vehicle? I am caught up in this situation and am getting a huge runaround from Honda. They took all my information so they now have everything on file no matter which way I turn.
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

shawnc222
Enthusiast
ddbalram: I have read reports that once a US Honda vehicle is exported to Canada, the warranty becomes void in both countries and will not be honored anywhere. I read that local Canadian Honda dealers would sell you aftermarket warranty for a price.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

txatfan
Enthusiast
I am about to buy a PILOT in the US and want to export it to CAN. I was told that I only need a copy of the bill of sale and the title for the border that I am intending to cross. They also informed me that the warranty will void. Any help from somebody??
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

16edmonton
Enthusiast
Here is a link to another site on how to import a Honda Gold Wing from the U.S.A. into Canada. Step by step instructions.

http://www.ridersrally.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16378&highlight=importing
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Good link. 🙂
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

mooregems
Enthusiast
I feel ebay motors should post this note on all honda cars & trucks being sold on EBAY , I am sure I am not the first nor will I be the last to be stung by HONDA for importing a honda car from U.S. TO CANADA!!!! Honda is the only dealer to cancell warrantys on units crossing borders!!!!!!!
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

cowboy7849
Enthusiast
WOW! I'm sure glad I found this page full of postings to help people like me to get a clearance letter for RIV. I just imported a Honda Goldwing. I called Honda USA/Canada and they would not help me in anyway shape or form, how can they scam customers like this? I went to the www.honda.com website, registered and printed the pages I needed for RIV. You think with the economy as bad as it is in the USA, Honda would look after the customers that are willing to buy THEIR PRODUCT! I will never buy another HONDA product ever again!
Thanks for your help.
Cowboy7849
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

charlierosedog
Enthusiast
thanks for the link,saw it after having a small heart attack after talking to american honda.they must have hired the least qualified arrogant bag to hand out horrible news.she actually enjoyed telling me that there was no way i was getting a recall letter from them.nafta didnt even phase her or honda,thanks to gloria at riv for assuring me that i had nothing to worry about!
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

WOW, has anyone considered a Ford, a Chevy, or a HD.
Message 15 of 21
latest reply