cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any body Remember Ghost Motorcycle Sales Port Washington NY

Anybody remember Them I bought quite a few Bikes from him
He was a Friend & I even worked for him for a couple of Years.
Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 1 of 122
latest reply
121 REPLIES 121

Lots of good "Ghost" stories. Love the one about the bikes that came flying up the ramp from the basement. Here's two more.
1- Remember the old closed up gas station up and across the street? Hundreds of bikes parked in there, many with repair tickets showing that the owners decided to abandon rather than pay the bill. I saw my first Ariel square four there. My friend was a good customer so we got a private tour.
2- One night a guy pulls up with a new CB750 - just came out - 1969. Everyone is making fun of the new "rice burner" until the guy comes flying down the street and screeches to a halt using just the front (disk) brake. That got the attention of everyone. That bike could go AND stop. Not many others could in 1969!
Message 61 of 122
latest reply

Ghost is still around. I'm keeping a few bikes of mine in a warehouse in Glen Cove where he's got a couple dozen bikes and a TON of parts just rotting. He's mostly selling newer used bikes out of Augie's Competition Glass, as far as I've seen. He's still got a bunch of bikes in the old shop on Main St and every once in a while I'll see somebody in there.

I know this was an old post but... Funny thing... I went there a couple of years ago to look at a black police special that was advertised. Went to Augie's and he sent me to the warehouse up the street and said that someone would meet me. Never happened and I got tired of waiting. Sad, it was a nice bike. On a lighter note, when I was a kid, my neighbor bought matching hondas from Ghost, you know, those little ones Trail 70 or something like that. One had an automatic and one had a 4 speed. Nice little bikes. Lots of fun.
Message 62 of 122
latest reply

I thought about Ghost this morning as I went for a ride on my 69 Lighting, did a Google search and found this post.

I worked for Ghost in 67 and 68 during the summers, did bookkeeping with a guy named Bob Read. Part of my job was to push all the bikes out in the morning and to cover Pop at the liquer store when he went out for diner. Big Jim Smith worked in the parts department, a huge guy who looked like a buldog, rode an old BMW with a solo seat. I was 19 or 20 and a motorcycle nut so this was a dream job. Drove a van to the races on the weekends when BSAs and Nortons were running on dirt. Rebember the day the uncrated an Egli Vincent and put it in the window, like a religious artifact. I loved to wonder through the warehouse down the street where there was an assortment of rare racers, a lot of small bore stuff. Remember sitting on a new Norton Ranger, always thought I'd get one some day but now I probably wouldn't be able to kick it over. Still ride Lightnings, have had one constantly since 1970.

Drove by the store a year or two ago, now full of antiques. Walked down the ramp, the basement was much smaller then I remembered. Sal used to bring mechanics over from Italy, couldn't speak English, Mike Gargano the service manager had to translate but they sure could fine tune those ducks.

Thought the family might still live in the house behind the store but there was no sign of life. Great fun a long time ago.
Message 63 of 122
latest reply

sarajay11050
Enthusiast

you can buy a ghost tee shirt or sweat shirt from Sal him self.

516-782-9200

Message 64 of 122
latest reply

sarajay11050
Enthusiast

you can buy a ghost tee shirt or sweat shirt from Sal him self.

516-782-9200

Message 65 of 122
latest reply

I bought my First English bike from him & it was in the back

of the Store

a 1949 AJS 500 twin and also a 50 Matchless & 52

500 twin

back in the Day!

I am glad I brought back a lot of Memories to you Riders

because as we get older thats all we have!

Photobucket
Message 66 of 122
latest reply

How about the liquor store by the old  gas station. I remember it as Ghost Liquors, at least thats what we called it. Some repo original style Ghost jerseys, Ts, sweatshirt. would sell well on ebay,

Bob

Message 67 of 122
latest reply

santora1957
Enthusiast

Oh my goodness.  I was having a nolstolgic moment.  And for the hell of it did a google search.  They are still around.  My father had a old Harley, he use to go to Ghost for parts.  Sal, that's right I forgot his name.  I was only 13, my goodness, that was 40 years ago.  I can't remember the exact year of the Harley my father had, but it had the shifter on the gas tank. They called it a suicide shifter.  I'm guessing 1947ish?

Wow.  What a memory.  .

Message 68 of 122
latest reply

They are still available from Sonny @ 516 782 1770. WOW!

A BLAST FROM THE PAST!!

Message 69 of 122
latest reply

sarajay11050
Enthusiast

SAL'S 84 doing great. he sell's shirt's in front of the red house  next to the old shop ,when he's not on the rode . He has a transportation business . 516-782-9200 or He has his old number back 516-883-5300

Sally

Message 70 of 122
latest reply

jw63_2008
Enthusiast

Does anyone know if Randy Wilson is still alive, would now be in his 80's. He was the Greeves importer for the East Coast.

Message 71 of 122
latest reply

dudahead2009
Enthusiast

I sure do! Are they no longer in operation?Well I am sure I am much older than you because I remember seeing their ad in the yellow pages when I was in high school in 1954. My friends and I used to go out visit the place in 1956 and the owner was Sal Defeo. He had his father working there. They sold a lot of foreign bikes-British, German, etc. I remember the place had this great macho smell- suggesting danger.; rubber from the tires, leather from the seats, and the gasoline before all the additives were mandated. Long time ago!!. I visited their shop in 1966  and then in 1988. Sal Defeo was still there in 1966 but a new staff was evident in 1988.

Message 72 of 122
latest reply

I just talked to Sal on the Phone & he Sound Great

he's going to CA to Transport some Art work in a

couple of Days

It was realy Great to talk to Him

again!

:^O

Photobucket
Message 73 of 122
latest reply

mtk668
Enthusiast

Great place, great people and great memories whether you rode dirt bikes, street bikes or both which I did. I grew up in neighboring Little Neck, Queens and back in the day while you were riding in the "Twin Rinks" sandpits if you ever broke down or needed something (Bel-Ray, tire tubes, spark plugs) for your MX bike you always went to Ghost and were back to riding soon enough. I will always remember the inside of the main street store, that is where I learned about all of the bikes from Europe by just looking around and asking Sal, Sonny and of course Griff about what was what and they always would bring you up to speed. Man if I had a dollar for every cigarette I smoked and coke I drank while hanging out there I would have enough money to buy a new Duck!  

Message 74 of 122
latest reply

Yes, Sal was a great guy, always would help a biker in need. He would find parts for my Vincent Black Shadow in the early 60's.

Message 75 of 122
latest reply