cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help dating pearl necklace

I'm thoroughly frustrated by this piece! Five strands of small freshwater pearls (a little more rounded than the usual sort).  The clasp is sort of a filigree box clasp but rounded on both sides. It once had a gold wash, now almost completely worn away and it looks like pot metal of some sort or maybe iron. Anyone see this clasp before?  It may be that the tongue is a replacement - I really can't tell.

When I first saw the necklace, my immediate thought was Georgian (mostly because the pearls are drilled on the horizontal rather than vertical), but that clasp has thrown me into confusion! ANY help dating would be so much appreciated! And if you have any idea what kind of pearls they might be, I would love to hear your ideasPearlNecklace1.jpgPearlNecklace2.jpgPearlNecklace3.jpgPearlNecklace9.jpg!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@skippy527 

She's an old gal! Those are freshwater pearls, clasp is a filigree barrel clasp, necklace looks to date 1920s30s.

Test this clasp for gold content to rule out.

Silver

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you! Definitely not gold  - it's ever so slightly magnetic. Those dates sound about right to me - great to get some confirmation - thanks again!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Uh oh. Just found a similar necklace, listed as Victorian (and priced over $1000). Not sure once again! The clasp has a tongue  so it's not a barrel clasp - I'll try to upload better photos tomorrow....

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@skippy527 

Actually this type of clasp is called a filigree 3 ring pearl clasp. I called it a barrel clasp as that what it looks like in the photos.

Your piece doesn't look that old to be true Victorian Era, it looks more 1920s when multi strand pearls were popular and they could swing freely ( think flappers).

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks so much!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply