cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two sterling silver necklaces one green stone and one blue stone

Both of these are on sterling chains.  I was told that the blue one was turquoise but I am sure it is not, just can't locate what it is.  The green stone one I was told was jade but I think its malachite.  Can you help.P1440595.JPGP1440596.JPGP1440604.JPGP1440605.JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@mimiwells 

I'm going to agree with you. Not a fan of the bezel setting on 1st one, it looks like Howlite to me as I can see white spots on back side.

The 2nd piece is a much better quality piece and I agree it does look like Malachite. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hello. I sell rare gemstones, mostly. The blue stone is highly likely to be dyed howlite (interesting side-note: howlite is exactly the same mineral as turquoise only without the copper, which is why there is a color difference). The green stone is highly likely to be a micro-crystalline quartz. The howlite pendant has a 'made in the SW USA' look and could be sterling. The quartz pendant was clearly made in India and is probably made of 800 silver or Tibetan silver. You would need to have the metals tested, regardless of the stamps on their backs. I hope this helps!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

With all respect to Silver, the second one looks more like Nephrite jade to me.  Photo is dark in tone, though, so I could me missing something.  It also looks like bloodstone...but without the "blood", ha ha...so chalcedony.  Price is going to be comparable whichever.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I agree the second (green) stone doesn't look like malachite. Without a better light, impossible for me to guess. The first "turquoise" setting says Thailand, so...

Message 5 of 5
latest reply