cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

India has completely ruined the Vintage Jewelry Category

I just went thru 10 pages in a row of Supposed vintage Jewelry.  Nearly every page was full of non vintage rings from the same seller. How in the world am I supposed to sell my genuine vintage jewelry? People aren't going to go through all of that to find something. Why cant ebay regulate this?? I am just sick.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@neatstuff4utoo 

Understand, the jewelry categories are a hot mess. It was once my go to area to help other posters and the other day while looking up a bracelet with stones, a BMW car emblem appears and it wasn't the only one!

One needs to be careful with that jewelry from India also, fake and cheap comes to mind.

I don't know what to tell you other than make your pieces stand out and try other keywords in your title like using the possible year ( circa  60s). Vintage ( the word) is so over used it just doesn't mean much anymore.

If you need assistance with pieces, please take good pictures and post them here, sometimes another eye and ideas will help. Silver

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you Silverstate treasure 🙂 That is a good way to make them stand out. I appreciate the help 🙂

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

People aren't going to go through all of that to find something.

If a seller is listing non-vintage items in a vintage category, or those items are turning up in a vintage search when they should not, buyers will most likely find ways to filter such items, either by excluding the seller's items specifically, by limiting searches by price or item location, or else by using other means such as item-specific filters.

You can report the seller's items for search and browse manipulation, but unless the policy violations are blatantly obvious to non-experts or there are many independent complaints, eBay is unlikely to take action to correct the issue any time soon.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I just bought a piece I knew was an Indian repro, but the seller was supposedly in NYC. I bought it to travel with, as I don't travel with good stuff. First of all, they said it was shipped and there was a tracking # in NJ. Then the thing didn't move for three weeks, so I am figuring they were waiting for it to come from India, and I asked them. I got incomprehensible responses from non English speakers that made no sense, and the item was finally shipped four weeks later. It arrived, and is nothing like the photo, so I left a negative. Now they want me to remove it because its "bad for their business"! Bite me, they really have wrecked the jewelry listings!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Use the Era name instead of Vintage, like Victorian, Art Deco, Art Nouveau, Retro, Mid Century, etc. This will narrow down the search results quite a bit.

I always use era names when I search because there's just too many results now that eBay has removed our jewelry categories. They effectively eliminated "browse shopping" with their awful Item Specifics approach.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply