Did you mean: 

"handwrought ", is it a hallmark?! Thanks

mason_1.JPG

mason_2.JPG

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

I don't think it's a hallmark as much as a method.  Interchangeable with hand made.  I think it was used early in the 1900's, and may be used today?  I'm not sure.  Here's another example inside a silver bracelet.  It's partially worn but you can still see "handwrought."  

handwrought.jpeg

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Yes, but look at the borders. It looks like an image of a jewelry file

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

yes, meaning "handwrought" or "handmade". I would think.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I think only one company used this particular stamp and that will identify as a hallmark. It's a general term, " handwrought"  but in a frame of jeweler's file. They certainly couldn't make it Copy Right but the pattern would have been unique to them     

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I get what you're saying, but why didn't he (or she) put his maker's mark inside the outline of the file instead of writing "handwrought?"  

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

This may or may not apply but a while back I learned that members made their own jewelry as part of their achieving levels. Not exactly sure were the info came from but it made sense at the time. So could be why it only says handwrought. The inscription might ID Maker or Level they were at?

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

I thought I might find your Mark here in the Arts and Crafts pages. There are other resources on the Site too if you look around.

Chicago Silver 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

I looked, but I don't think this is registered. This simple ring, it just looks simple. It  is very difficult  to fabricate. The craftsman was a superb jeweler. Masonic ring makers were mysterious craftsman   

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

So what does the inscription say?

Sandy
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

It says "E P Fait W P T 1944",and another stamp "10K" 

Being a Masonic ring, everything goes with the inscription. From owners initials to a secret message! I didn't realize these rings to be quite expensive but they're, especially the Art Deco ones. I guess it is the rarity. I bought and sold a lot of them. They use to be priced at Gold Spot plus 10-20 percent. Now, you're lucky if you find them at that

Casting started around 1935 in US. So handmade piece of this caliber would be older breed, however; because of Karat Stamp, I date them after 1906

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Yesterday while keyword searching "Antique Handwrought Masonic Ring" I had a result with the same Handwrought Mark.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

For those interested I found this information site. The page linked is to information on the letter "G".

Masonic Lodge of Education 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

I see the date as 1744 with a strike through on the 7 which is an old way to show a 7.

Researching 1744 I found that it is an important date tied to the meaning of the G.

"The most specific reference to the letter G having another meaning occurs in a French Exposure of 1744, Le Catéchisme des Francs Maçons, and in outlining how the Entered Apprentice became a Fellow Craft, describes the journey into the Middle Chamber of the Temple with the catechism"

The letter G 

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

mason_3.jpg

I think it's a nine. Here is a better picture. The engraver's hand slipped at the edge, it might have been machine engraved   

Message 15 of 22
latest reply