cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hi long time no see. this is DW's son, have a couple of questions on some pieces!

hi, i have $2.26 worth of jewelry that i need help on. this is my first purchase that i used my own money for...

the first is a sterling brooch with a blue stone. any ideas on what it is? it has a marbled look on the back. i wont get my heart broken, i paid $1.28 for it

this braclet. how can you tell if an item is ivory or not. it has the lines like ivory. it has yellowed like ivory. it sounds hollower than a plastic one. comepared it to a celluliod one. and it just looks old. i really dont want to do the pin test because there is no "good" spot to do it on it even has the cross hatch under high light.

note: ive done all of the tests above because that is what an ebay forum said to do.

it was 98 cents so i took the risk.

DW

Photobucket

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

hi long time no see. this is DW's son, have a couple of questions on some pieces!

Well hello there little den cub 🙂

I found some information for comparision on the celluloid bracelet here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/216199573/vintage-ivory-carved-floral-lily-of-the for info only
You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Great buys! Congratulations!

I would have grabbed both in a heartbeat heart

The first could be a natural stone or colored glass or butterfly wing below a clear glass, it is hard to tell.

The Lily of the Valley Celluloid is unusual. There are way more Roses or Chrysanthemums.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hey there! (Adam or Nick?)  lol 

Love that bracelet!  

You did great on both buys! 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Hello wolf pup , 

Great deals on both pieces . For $2.26  I couldn't have got the money out of my pocket fast enough . 

Some observations and guesses for you to research . The first one looks similliar to 2 Sterling pieces I own . It kinda looks like my man made star sapphire brooch without the star . Also reminds me of a man made moonstone I have , but it's a little more dark blue . Maybe it's a man made blue chalcedony ? 

On on the second piece I agree with Crow ....nice celluloid and more rare to have the Lilly of the valley . 

Mermaid 🐠

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

The blue one is two layers of glass; I used to have the exact same brooch. The bracelet is really pretty, but you don't have to worry about it being ivory.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 7 of 7
latest reply