cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage / Antique Euro Cameo Bracelet ?

Hello Joolies ,

This one needs some loving . She has seen better days . Found this at a flea market , didn't pay much . Loved the look of the filigree . The clasp is different , a small rod slides open . There is a mark that is very hard to read . Under magnification I thought it might say " Made in France " , however someone else looking through magnification said he thought it was a European maker's Mark . The cameo feels like a stone of some kind .

What do you think ? Age ? Style ? Tips on cleaning ? As always any comments welcome . Thank you !

Mermaid

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Very nice bracelet find, mermaid!  I see "Made in France," also.  Possibly Renaissance Revival?  They say a dab of ketchup or lemon juice may remove the greenies, but it also removes the plate and leaves a dull base metal color.  I don't think there's much else you can do once the dreaded verdigris sets in Smiley Sad.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Try some WD40 on the verdigris...should not hurt the finish

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

That sounds like a good tip, Sarah.  I inadvertantly sprayed some WD-40 on my stainless steel kitchen sink fixtures and they never looked so good!  I will try that on some greenies!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I've always assumed that when you find dull base metal under verdigris, it's not the fault of the vinegar, but that either the verdigris ate the plating or the plating was damaged in the first place.

flotsamlogo
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I agree with Blue.  It isn't the vinegar that damages the plating it is the verdigris that has eaten away the plating.

This is a pretty piece.  I can't see the cameo well enough to tell for sure, but if it's not shell then it is possibly soapstone.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Blue and Sandy, that's exactly what I meant to say but said it incorrectly.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

sure is purdy!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thanks everyone ! 💛💚💙💜💘

I will stay away from vinegar and try some WD40 when I get home . I do think it is soapstone .

Anyone have a guess on age ? I can't seem to find any info on this type closure .
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

My WAG would be 1930s - (maybe) 1940s...
Message 10 of 10
latest reply