cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ugh. This has never happened before. Listing ENDED.

I had a whale tail necklace ended by eBay. It was one bought from Nat Geo's website last year as a gift I did not want. Not my style. Listed it for just over $10. A bargain for "Ivory", right?

eBay ended it and sent me that dreaded policy violation email. Never in all my years have I had that happen. Made me feel sick. Not because of anything else except that I know me - and selling Ivory is against my principles, though I do keep it when it is passed on in a lot - it goes in a special place in my grandmother's jewelry box - I don't ever wear it (I think that that is very bad karma, personally, and my daughter, who especially loves elephants, would turn ME into a piece of jewelry without thinking twice), I don't try to slip it into junk lots, nor do I seek it out. 

I went in and anywhere I had the color "ivory" in my listing I dang sure changed it over to "cream"! 

Smiley Sad

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

It happens I had one ended for a plastic bead necklace that I said was IVORY in color lol It happens I too have a huge box of beautiful ivory items from years past that is just sitting around
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Hi Authenticvintage,

Sorry you're going thru this, it's a scarey feeling to open an EBay e-mail violation letter!

It just happened to me too (Friday night) I had a "scrimshaw" pin listed. In the item specifics under material, I put "misc." as I didn't know if it was plastic or some kind of composite-it definately WASN'T ivory.

The listing was pulled and I can't list until Sunday night (3 day suspension.)

The e-mail from EBay stated because I didn't list exactly what the piece was made from I violated the endangered speciecs policy Smiley Embarassed

I too went in and removed the color "ivory" from a pampered chef caserole I had listed.

I totally freaked thinking what I had done wrong, so I looked at other listings and most people are putting "faux" scrimshaw.

It never dawned on me that it would be an issue, I've sold items like this before with no problem.

Oh well live and learn. I think I'll be a little gun shy from now on listing something that can even be remotely considered ivory!

Pauline

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Pauline - That is too funny (the ivory thing and the pampered chef) - wow, yes, it is a sickening feeling! I even took down a sarah coventry bone pendant necklace. I will never list a bone item OR use the color word ivory again, even if I happen to be selling Ivory soap. I'll just call it "white soap that floats" or something. Smiley Wink

Well...they had the nerve to send me a survey after this asking about my "experience" - they will probably send you one also.

It won't surprise me if I get some repurcussion from what I said to them in the comments because it was HONEST.

"Removing an item clearly made of bone, though I understand the precaution involved in it, is overzealous. I can certainly tell the difference between Ivory and bone, but apparently, those doing the policing cannot. It may have been reported by a competitor or picked up by a bot - I have no way to know. It was unsettling. I don't care - it was a $10 item. Had it been IVORY I certainly would expect it to command over $100 and would have listed it at auction, were I the type of seller to do such a thing. Left a bad taste in my mouth because it's obvious that the person overseeing prohibited items has no common sense or experience in illegal Ivory sales. Hire some competent people to do this kind of work. As much as I pay in fees, you can certainly afford to do so. Now - how's that for what my experience was like? Hope you learned something from it."

Then when asked what they could do to improve what else could I say except that contacting me PERSONALLY would have been a good first step as I have been selling under THIS ID for twelve years and have been on ebay period since 1998. They have my phone number, email address, bank account and credit card info, and, if I'm not mistaken, even my SS# from where I became ID VERIFIED many years ago - along with a plethora of CS reps that could stand to educate themselves somewhat by actually seeing what it's like from a seller's side. 

UGH - so sorry they gave you a vacation. That is over the top if you ask me, and I would call them until you got someone with some sense who would lift it.

I had looked into buying a domain - but can't afford it. Not that I would use it to sell the "I" word!

Hang in there...

eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I guess I am leaving my real Ivory to my kids (except my youngest because she would probably give it a proper funeral) - no way to know in the future if even owning it will somehow be disgraceful, but in the meantime, it is at least valuable for the gold content.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

OMG I got the survey too! I did suggest that they contact the seller PRIOR to removing the listing and giving them a chance to make it "right."

Years ago I did in fact get a phone call from an EBay rep. about an item I had listed, I don't remember if I had used the word bone or Ivory in the title and they had suggested I remove it and put it in the item specifics.

The rep. said that they didn't want to remove the listing due to the fact I was a long time member in good standing yada, yada, yada.

I guess that service is no longer available 🙂

So anyhow, at least it wasn't a perment vacation, I had intended on taking a few days off and we're going away towards the end of the week.

I was going to use this weekend to do a little R&R, BUT the e-mail totally blew me out of the water.

Looking back I think I got the vacation due to the fact hubby had purchased a Corning Ware coffee pot and I listed it a couple of months ago.

Well it turns out these things were recalled back in the 70's! The listing was removed, no biggie. I read up on the recall and was amazed at how many are still listed.

It must have just been my time for "review" 🙂

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

The white with blue flowers? Have those been recalled?! Well, we can't know everything about everything. At least your "vacation" coincides with your vacation!

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Hey - read this and then check your pot - 

you could possibly get that violation removed!

http://www.corningware411.com/2015/02/separation-anxiety-facts-about-corning.html

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Well thanks for the link. The info that EBAY links you to, lead me to believe it was the pots with the ring/band that holds the handle were recalled.

This link clarifies the fact that the items with the stainless spout ARE the ones recalled (unfortunatley that is what I had!) So EBays info was backswards or too confusing (for me at least 🙂

Now I really need a vacation!

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for the heads up . I just changed the color of a sweater set I had listed as "Ivory " to light cream . Although "vacations " are nice , a forced one is never a good feeling . Sorry y'all are going through this . Surprising the long time sellers with tons of excellent feedback are going through this . 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

"I just changed the color of a sweater set I had listed as "Ivory " to light cream"

Smiley Very Happy

Thank you for the chuckle!

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Glad I could give you a chuckle in times like these . 😂  Laughter heals !

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

After I can a cow bone necklace pulled because I didn't specify the species of cow, I've more or less given up on the stuff. There are enough problems around without giving the nosy nellies any free shots.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I wonder if they are pulling auctions on the Chinese sellers. They are far more likely to be selling poached ivory, since China is the biggest market for it. They also sell a lot of "ox bone" stuff. Do you think there are more than one species of ox? Maybe sell your cow bone item as "ox bone" and if they STILL object, point out the Chinese sellers. Smiley Tongue

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Rarely, if ever. I've reported ivory until my fingers fell off. The only items that ever get pulled are American pottery, clothes, and plastics.(sigh)

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 15 of 18
latest reply