cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sterling (.925) wedding band

My husband's wedding band is broken...again. He's on band #2. They cost around $60 with inscription and everything. Should I try to have it repaired (we've got a local jewler who I can take it too) or just buy him a new one? I thought about getting him a new one for Christmas and a chain so he can wear it around his neck, but he doesn't like necklaces. Sigh...

He basically cracks it while he's laying gas line (natural/propane).  Altho 'laying' isn't the word I'd use, I'd use installing becuase it's all over his head and he's screwing together 20ft section with huge pipe wrenches (those wrenches are what's cracking and then breaking his ring). It doesn't help that he is left-handed and so that's the hand that gets the most pressure with the wrenches. 

I try to remind him to take it off, but he can't remember.

This is a picture of my ring, which is exaclty like his (only not broken and 3 sizes smaller, lol) I bought this style so they wouldn't bend because sterling tends to bend on my finger (if it's thin enough) and go flat on one side. I did talk to him about getting a bendier one, and he said no, he'd rather it break then bend and smash on his finger. I agreed that would be better, for his finger anyway, lol

IMG_8117.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

TY for your help! You guys rock 🙂

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Hi fredi frogi,

I'm no expert, but I would think it would depend upon (1) the cost of getting it repaired, and (2) whether or not the jeweler thinks it would be liable to happen again in the same spot, due to weakness of the repair.  (If stainless steel is welded together, that's a pretty strong bond which wouldn't be weak in the previously broken place, but soldered sterling is another issue altogether, so  you'd have to really question your jeweler pretty strongly to find out.)  

Regardless of which you do, I think I would have DH take it off during the week, and only wear it on the weekends, but maybe you don't care for that idea?  Smiley Surprised

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I think it would be weak where it was repaired so would break again easily.

Maybe a different style would be better. Flat rather than rounded?

Or a even a different shape? I have this square band which I loved to wear when it fit.

Square Band

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hello Fredi*frog,

Your husbands job will wreck any ring he wears on his left hand , what ever metal it is made of and pretty much on his right. Were the ring has been joined will always be the weakest part on any ring, but, reading about your husbands job you must realize he is using a lot of strength and pressure. Men forget just how strong they are in their hands. Wearing a ring around his neck on a chain isn't a good idea either as the chain acts like a saw blade and eventually will wear it away, and while the chain is doing this the chain is also being worn away. But, it would last for a little while.

You are great for the jewellery business, but, in reality you are wasting your time. If he wears his ring when not working fine.Many  a job you shouldn't wear rings for , because of the danger.The titanium or stainless steel rings , don't even think about it. They are dangerous. If he crushes or damages his hands in any way, the ring cannot be cut off. This means real problems for the Doctor repairing his finger, and usually means cutting the finger length wise ans tripping the muscles to get the ring off. 

You either come to grips with no ring for your lovely man, or just when he isn't working  as so many do. Men wear fashion items more and more these days and hove many watches for example that they chop and change wearing for the right occasions.Some people like your husband will wear a nice fitted bangle. No good if you are in any electrical business though as these are also dangerous for them. Precious metal like other metals are great electrical conductors and you can have bad burns from wearing jewellery when working in this field.They cannot even wear a watch , you must be earthed all the time in that business.

Sorry to be such a doom and disaster merchant, I have seen many a problem like this, with the disasters that can ensue. 

Sincerely Jillian.

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

You may want to consider the newer, stronger metals such as titanium, tungsten or cobalt.  They come in colors similar to silver, can be engraved and should last longer.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Assuming the ring just needs to be soldered together, yes it would be strong bonds. Yes it is an option. The only real risk is that it would not be round. Having hand forged and soldered rings myself, this is the typical problem.But it would be too expensive and impractical anyways. You can buy a new ring from a wholesaler for under $20. Engraving should likewise be under $10 from a jeweler. Repair would likely cost this much and not be as shiny or smooth. My recommendation would be to go with a stronger metal which would cost similar to sterling. PM me if you need some supplier options.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The simplest solution - get matching wedding ring tattoos. Those rings don't need to be cut off and can't fall off.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

No don't waste your money on sterling silver wedding bands, they don't hold up.  I agree with the suggestions for Titanium or other stronger metals for Men, if not you will keep having the same reoccuring thing happening.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I don't care too much if he wears it or not, lol. He's the one who says he must wear it. 

I've thought about the tatoo's actually and I like the idea, but my rings would cover mine up and I don't want that! LOL

Yes, as long as he's laying gas line, he will always break his ring. I'm not 100% sure but I believe they'll be laying gas line for the next few months. As they build hog barns he lays gas line. I kept telling him after the first one to take it off when he's working, and just stick it in his pocket, but he thinks he'll lose it if he sticks it in his pocket.

(my first husband rarely wore his ring because he liked his finger, and, again, I really didn't give too much thought to it...)

I think I might see if it can be repaired this time at least. If It can't i'll get him a new one for christmas (the place I order it from should be having some good deals around christmas time.)

Here's photos of his ring, with the crack.

IMG_6715.jpg

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Hi again, it seems that a wedding ring is more important than his fingers, perhaps he can wear a platinum one as it is the strongest white precious metal available in the jewellery world. But, have it made with out a joint. Yes this can be done. but it will be expensive.You can also do this in any precious metal, it can either be turned up on a lath or formed from a block.  Other wise a silver one again that he just has a safety pin inside his overalls, and puts it on there when not working. safe and sound and it is still with him. 

The safety pin thing is a favourite of  mine that I have told many a person who needs to remove rings for some reason and keep them safe. I.E. swimming, your fingers shrink in the cooler water up to 2 sizes. more rings and earrings are lost swiimming than any other time.Playing with your children in a sand envirenment is like a shingle pit and wears out your jewellery also as is gardening. (other than a burglary). At the gym, also, don't leave them in your locker. use the safety pin inside your clothing. The crenalations on gym metal equipment is like a large file that chews your rings to bits. But then again. what would I know. Jillian

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

FWIW, that's an easy repair. Should be doable in minutes from a fast-fix at your local mall. Most rings, especially wedding bands are actually casted so they have no joints. Platinum is almost always casted. It's near impossible to source platinum wire in thickness to forge a good size shank. I've tried...😳
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Get him a titanium or tungsten ring.  You can get them on ebay pretty easily, and relatively cheap.  Then you can take it to your jeweler and have the inscription you want engraved in it.  Hopefully, it will help.  It might be a good thing though, that his other rings cracked.  I know a guy that got his ring stuck while working on an engine.  It nearly cut his finger off. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I am unable to see any pics for some reason but I gather there is no pic of the actual ring in question. Is the break clean or jagged? I think you aalso said the ring is not bending before the break occurs. Is that correct?