cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping jewelry to Australia

I've been very busy this summer, haven't even been reading here, which is a first!  I miss everyone and hope to frequent this board more often.  I've probably missed a lot of interesting subjects. 

I shipped a collectable tie tack to Australia, and the tracking says Your item could not be delivered on September 2, 2014 at 8:36 am in AUSTRALIA due to a missed delivery. It is scheduled for another delivery attempt today.

I've heard nothing more.  And why a "missed delivery"?  Wouldn't 1st class simply go into a mailbox? 

The shipping label I made online with USPS said shipping of jewelry to Australia was prohibited unless it was insured priority parcel.  I hadn't known that and only charged for first class international, so I went ahead and sent it first class.  I added on the description something like used mens fashion accessory tie tack, I believe.  Something to that effect.  For future info, does anyone know if costume jewelry, non precious jewelry, is ok to send first class?  (Doubt I'd sell much if I have to mail using insured priority)

Value was under $50.  

So I suppose this is two questions-

anyone know why a missed delivery then no more updates on the tracking

Anyone know more about shipping costume jewelry to Australia? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I have always thought costume jewelry was okay to ship to Australia. Haven't sent any lately but never had a problem. Someone did say to me once, many years ago, that shipping to Australia was very safe because ALL imports had to be signed for regardless of the item or value. So this might be what happened.

Maybe try plugging the Tracking Number into the Australian Postal Site:

http://auspost.com.au/track/track.html

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

That helped a lot!  Looks like it is waiting for pickup at the post office.  I did not know about that website but I bookmarked it!  Thanks so much. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Did you label it as jewelry on the customs form? NEVER do that for costume jewelry. Call it a fashion accessory instead. The bots think "jewelry" means FINE jewelry - they don't understand the difference between fine and costume.

flotsamlogo
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Used Fashion Accessory- I learned that here, actually, and it's a good reminder for newer sellers. 

I found the item I sold, it was delivered but didn't make it to the confirmation page.  All is well.  Thanks for your help! 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply