cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returns sellers

I have a no refund policy because my items are hand made custom items. Ebay returned money to 3 buyers who used the item for the holiday then asked for a return and automaticalley sent the customer a shipping label paid by me to return the custom made item back to me. What am I suppose to do with something that was custom made for a buyer and is usually only woar once durring the holiday. I will have to stop selling on ebay due to the fact that I cant afford for everyone to return there items. Once a buyer realizes that they can return a product for any reason, everyone will take advantage of the buyer friendly program !!! Any others had the same problem?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Returns sellers

I accept returns for any reason but buyer has to pay the shipping.  That is in my descripition and policy.  I have started selling at a local Antique store.  I have a display case that I can feature items that are harder to ship.  One thing I like about it is there is a no return policy or rating status.  Don't sell that much but I was ready to branch out.  Have not sold my jewelry there yet - still on ebay for that.    Only other comment I have on returns is that I bought a gift for Christmas and had to return it on Amazon.  They accepted my return and told me not to return the item.  I think that is what us ebay sellers have to compete with on a return policy.  I hope you called Ebay on your returns.  Most likely they can't help but I would talk to them.  Hope other sellers comment on your question - something that effects all of us.  

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Returns sellers

Yes, a buyer can choose not as described and get a return shipping label on your dime. Since it looks like you sell Christmas items year round, hopefully this only happens to you closer to the holidays. Many buyers use this website to "rent" seasonal items for free.

Some sellers add a little to their prices to put in the "kitty" towards covering this happening. Happens with Halloween costumes and dvd's/cd's where a buyer will make a copy and send it back.

It's gotten so bad, that a seller ends up being grateful they've gotten their original item returned, in hopefully still sellable condition.

I prefer to sell small, light, easy to pack items so if I end up having to pay round trip ship, it's not too huge a loss.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Returns sellers

Yep me too - I sold several nice dresses, a couple NWT, that buyers returned right after Easter, Prom, holiday parties, etc.  More than a couple came back dirty or damaged.  I gave SMALL partial refunds and was fortunately able to resell the items - after repairs and cleaning.  I soon learned to have a cut off time for selling and shipping holiday related items.  My "no return" policy also helps keep many of these folks from buying in the first place.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Returns sellers

I have limited my sales on the craft and vintage site because they gave too many refunds without getting a return.  Worse, THEY BLAME THE SELLERS when there are too many returns and will suspend or limit your listings.  Apparently feedback isnt just an opinion over there and you only get a few returns or poor feedback before they will close you down.  Of course it is always the seller's fault the buyer is a **bleep**...

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Returns sellers

I'd move custom stuff over to ETSY or some place similar.  Too many renters over here.  I sell mostly vintage to antique items and it's not as much of a problem.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Returns sellers

I just need to add another comment - agree with Clearsphere - I try to sell jewelry or small items that don't cost that much to ship 4oz. is $2.66.  So if it is returned and buyer claims "not as discribed"  then I do eat the shipping both ways but does not put me in the poor house.  Returns are a drag!  Also agree with her on looking at other sites or stores that would take your items.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Returns sellers

@evelyb30 wrote:

I'd move custom stuff over to ETSY or some place similar.  Too many renters over here.  I sell mostly vintage to antique items and it's not as much of a problem.  

Dont be so sure that Etsy is any better. They are also notorious for letting folks have teh refund just for asking AND allowing them to keep the item so you may end up without either the money OR the item.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Returns sellers

Good to know; as I was thinking a craft seller may fare better over there-more of a crafter buying from a fellow do it yourself-er (aka a do unto others vibe that doesn't really apply here).

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Returns sellers

When 'over there' started, their format was providing a marketplace for creators of hand-crafted items. That seems to have changed a good bit, to put it mildly.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Returns sellers

Wow. Sorry this has happened to you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 11 of 11
latest reply