cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need stone help on sterling necklace please

Hello!  I thought it would be an easy stone to figure out, green with black dots and white.  But I was wrong as usual, so I come here hoping someone can tell me what type of stone this is.  Thank you in advance for any assistance!  Thanks!

Val

sterling green stone dangle neck1.jpg

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

first impression is green azurite, not sure though

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

Thank you for the lead.  In looking up green azurite in jewelry it seemed that most if not all the pieces I saw were green with blue.  This one doesn't have any blue.  😞  I do know stones can look different so it could be.  Thanks again!  Val

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

Can you post a closer pic of one stone with a little more light on it?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 4 of 39
latest reply

Yes please, another image of the stone. What does the whole piece look like? Are there any marks?

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

p.s. The stones look fairly small so my guess is Eilat. 

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

I can't see the detail too well but I've had pieces just like this that were glass versions of Eilat.

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

From  Wikipedia:

Eilat Stone derives its name from the city of Eilat where it was once mined, it is a green-blue inhomogeneous mixture of several secondary copper minerals including malachite, azurite, turquoise, pseudomalachite, chrysocolla. The Eilat stone is the National stone of Israel, and is also known as the King Solomon Stone.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

Thank you everyone for your responses.  I took a picture just as the light was leaving when I got home.  Just now found the time to get it one here.

jesusrocks, your reply fits with what I saw.  The necklace is small and it is stamped on the back of one drop.  The mark was/is not very clear.  I was going to ask what you guys might make of it.  You know when you star at something long enough it starts to become clear?  I could always read the top part, "Silver 925" but underneath that I had no idea.  As I stared at it I realized it looked like the word "Israel".  The "I" is not visible but I could make out a possible "s" then the "ael".  

So I think it is from Israel.  It is a lightweight piece.  Those drops measure approx 1 1/8" long and 3/8" wide at the bottom.  It's a nice piece....  But is it the stone or glass (and know the light was lousy and not how I normally take the pics.  Not sure if it's good enough for you to tell).

Thank you again for any help!!  Val

sterling green stone dangle neck.jpg

sterling green stone dangle neck5.jpg

sterling green stone dangle neck7.jpg

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

It looks like the glass sub for eilat. I get the real thing here as a rule; the glass is pretty. The mines are played out and odds are this is a fairly recent necklace.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 10 of 39
latest reply

Ok, thanks for ths info!  Val

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

I think it is Eilat and Sterling and since the necklace is stamped with Israel that would make perfect sense.- but only a gemologist would be able to tell you  for ure 100%

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

I think you might be right mimiwells.  I decided that I would bring some jewelry to the jeweler today to find out if the stones in those pieces were real or not.  Since I was going I brought this necklace along with me.  The gemologist (or whoever it was that the jeweler took it to to see what it was) did say it was not glass but a genuine stone but he was not familiar with the type.  So I think it might be true eilat.  🙂  Thank you to everyone for all of your help!!  I so very much appreciate it!!  Thanks!

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

The stone looks nothing like any Eliat stone I have viewed in the last 30 years.If all of the bezels look like the enlarged photo,most likely the stones have been replaced and not original to the necklace.The stone looks more like BC jade than any copper based stone.

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

I agree, Hollyblue, it doesn't look like Eilat to me either.   Although, I don't think that it is BC jade...which tends to be a much darker green (almost mossy to black)...

If I was asking for help identifying a stone, I would give Lexy's answer the greatest weight...she has seen and sold so many silver pieces with stones.  My bet goes along with her assessment...artglass. 

Message 15 of 39
latest reply