cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this peacock brooch very old?

It has a C clasp which is pushed over to one side a little.  He is missing 99% of his stones - just a couple of tiny dark stones in his body - but I liked him even without the stones.

012.JPG

013.JPG

015.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I would say early 20th century. Very cute! I love peacocks too!

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I'd check it for silver. You never know!

-flip-

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@flip2u2 wrote:

I'd check it for silver. You never know!

-flip-

It is pretty clean but I did get a bit of tarnish off with Silvo so I think it probably is silver but it isn't marked.  I don't have a test kit for silver.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

it could be silver but any metal can tarnish if its old enough, even gold.  I find the 18kt acid to be the easiest to use.  It turns white depending on jhe silver content.

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Do you all use the liquid test kits?  I'm a little nervous about using them, afraid I'll ruin something, but I also would like to know the metal of some of my pieces.  Are the kits pretty safe to use?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I use an electronic tester for gold so as not to damage anything, but for things 12kt and under its no more reliable than acids.  A fine 18kt gold fill piece can test for 10 kt gold electronically.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply