cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this 3 Piece Necklace Amber? Lucite? MCM?

Thanks for your input on this very MCM necklace;  I believe it might be Amber. Love the flecks and pieces inside each piece. These pieces are quite smooth but not as  heavy as the other Amber Set I posted. Could it be Lucite? Bakelite? Haven't done the "test" yet, but never seen flecks like these inside Bakelite. Love the MCM design! Appreciate your Input! Susana

IMG_4610.jpgIMG_4611.jpgIMG_4612.jpg

Curious Minds want to Know
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

It certainly looks like amber.  The discoid inclusions are very typical, as are the various organic material within.

Besides observation under magnification, two tests that are typically performed are specific gravity and a hot point.  Specific gravity requires a loose gem, so that's basically out.

To perform a hot point test, heat up a needle with a flame and immediately put the point on an inconspicuous spot on the gem.  Amber will have a pleasing pine like aroma, where an imitation will produce an acrid burnt plastic smell.

Three things to consider with the hot point test are 1) be careful; 2) this is a destructive test, so use judiciously; and 3) it does not identify reconstituted amber, which is always also a possibility.

With this and your other agate piece, remember that amber is very light, and chalcedony has more heft to it; you can get a good feel for amber just on how light it is in your hands.  Also, if you tap two pieces of the gems together or tap them with your fingernail, chalcedony "clicks" like glass and amber "clacks" like plastic.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Oh my goodness! To research gemstones can be so confusing🤪That sounds like the same test for ivory? Or Bakelite. The pieces in the mcm neck seem a lot like Lucite; while the set with earrings is quite heavy and smooth like glass. Can I try test on both pieces? 
I do enjoy learning, but it really helps to have someone knowledgeable like you!

I’ll let you know! Thanks 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I believe these are copal amber. I think  it is a newer amber than fossilized amber....

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Coral amber? Looks like I have so much to learn! So you agree the “Flecks” are naturally inside? Maybe they’re insects!🤭Do you agree it’s Mid century? Sorry for more questions. I admire the variety of colors in these sections. Wish me luck in describing it! Thanks again!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Copal (not coral), it is just a newer amber, like just not million year old fossilized amber. I think these are real amber, they truly fake stuff has lots of 'spangled' inclusions. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Amber? Modern resins today can really make miracles!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Generally nice chunks of amber, even recostituted or heat-treated, is set in silver.  This metal looks costume. If you're reselling be very careful about listing as real amber. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I appreciate your advice. I’ll have to call it resin or lucite? Think it’s so cool! Thx!!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thanks so much for your patience! My comfort zone is Vintage Rhinestones, so I'm out of my depth. 🙂
Any input on the chunky set? The heavy rectangular pieces feel like glass, or gemstone? Think the smaller beads are real Amber. Is this Baltic Amber, by the way? Sorry for more questions. Appreciate it!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply