cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm out of practice, how do i do this?

I've been lucky for a long while, but I hit a speed bump doing 90 today.

I had a high end piece with best offer. Someone made me an offer and I accepted.  Then I received 3 messages in a row:  Didn't mean to buy was just looking.  Didn't mean to buy.  Didn't mean to buy, found a ring I like and already bought it.

I reported the buyer to ebay and I blocked them for all freaking eternity. 

What do I do now? The rules have changed so much that we seemed to get penalized for everything whether its sellers fault or not. How do I get out of this? If I just cancel it and say buyer requested it, am I safe?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I`m sure you`ll be fine..I think there is the valid reason to check off that Buyer Requested to Cancel..and you have the messages to  back it up.

Let us know how it turns out.

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Yep, Just like Sarah said. You are totally in the clear. Just cancel the sale with the reason buyer requested and it won't count against you in any way. It happens, sometimes they make offers on multiple items not expecting to win them all, and they really only want the one, sometimes they are just flaky. Don't let it get to you! 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Had it happen a while back to me as well.   Lots of new buyers around here since the pandemic,  which can be both great and not so great.   Used to be that sellers got slapped for canceling any sale.   eBay has lightened up with that.   Just make sure to choose the correct reason “ Buyer wants to cancel the sale “ and you will be fine.   No dings.  

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you, finally got around to it.  I work such long hours that I hate spending time on the computer now unless I have to, so I don't start it up very often.  Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Good advice above.   Bummer you didn't get the sale, though!

Here's a reverse situation.  Purchased something 6 months ago, turns out seller couldn't find the item.  Nothing to do but cancel the sale, but then WE got an auto-email that "buyer asked to cancel sale".   Well, of course WE didn't ask to cancel, so felt a little funny about that.   I wonder if Ebay keeps track of BUYERS cancelling?  We let it slide because we've never had an auction where something was cancelled, but still...

An estate sale is my natural habitat...

Message 6 of 6
latest reply