cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have this vintage wood and ? Fruit necklace marked Japan

Vintage wood necklace signed Japan the fruit are made out of  something but  not sure what. I don't  think it is plastic but not sure. Could it be papermache ?  Really cute necklace. Any ideaimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

looks to me like they are somewhat variable (i.e. not exactly same shape and size), so maybe they are natural material such as some kind of seed pods or nuts.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

How much does the necklace weigh?  Paper mache is a good possiblity, painted sead pods is another good idea, a material like colored and painted featherlite is another option as is celluliod, although I think this necklace is later than that.  The weight would be what leads me in one direction over the other.  Great necklace by the way.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

The necklace is very light, I thought it was Paper mache too. But i cant find another one like it.
Thought I would post it to see what others thought.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Could also be a very lightweight wood, the same as on your wooden beads. I had a wood-and-fruit necklace (with plastic fruit) and the wooden beads were extremely lightweight - don't know what the wood was.

flotsamlogo
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I was thinking balsa. Fun necklace Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

If they're anything like the beads I had, balsa would be too soft and splintery for beads. Think those toy gliders - that's not a wood that will turn well. Linden maybe?

flotsamlogo
Message 7 of 7
latest reply