cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got slapped good by Ebay , said I was selling ivory? Didn't know elk tooth was ivory!

I was shocked when I got the warning about selling ivory? I had no idea elk tooth pin was ivory..I am so assamed and sorry..I guess it is just a warning and hope I do not get removed..

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

I got slapped good by Ebay , said I was selling ivory? Didn't know elk tooth was ivory!

Sorry rain.  That category is a bit difficult for me to understand ALL of it anyway as I don`t keep up with..so I stay away from it all.

Here`s the policy section

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/wildlife.html

I just kinda skimmed over it, but there are others here that can advise you on such.

I`m sure this was just a warning..they aren`t gonna suspend you now..but just be careful from now on.

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Thanks Sarah, I will not sell anything that looks like a tooth, or ivory or anything like that.. However when i searched for the item I sold, there were alot listed as victorian elk tooth things and I thought it was permitted, strange the bot didn't catch it?

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

That`s why to me it aint worth messing with . Some items go thru while others don`t. Just a matter of whose 'manning the ship' at that time  I guess  lol  

As with other things..we see rules being broken all over the place & wonder how that one gets through

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

I remember another post in the past month about not selling ivory on EBay.  That's why I posted last week a picture of a braceilet - just to make sure i could list it.  Now I do have my grandmother's carved ivory necklace and earrings which i don't plan on selling but i could not list on EBay.  I would have to see if they were made before 1900 which might be.  Anyway thanks  for the posts.  I do learn so much and try to add my 2 cents to help out!!!

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

I don't see where in the policy elk tooth is banned. Perhaps they made a mistake and thought the listing is another animal's part? Elk horn is a common material used in the southwest. I don't see it being not allowed on eBay.
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Rain,  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  That is one of those gray areas where everyone doesn't know elk's tooth is ivory.

I come from a family of hunters and the first time I heard it I said, what?  No way!

I wouldn't worry about it, if they were going to do anything else you would have heard by now.

luv ya girl!

Carolynheart

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you Rain.  Personally, if you got a slap AFTER it was listed my guess would be that you were reported rather than a bot picked it up.  This subject on eBay and what is listed and isn't listed and by whom is so convoluted that it would take a genius a full year to figure it out.  It just isn't worth it to try and figure out the ins and outs of listing it here. 

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Thanks everyone.. I knew ivory was not permitted, however elk tooth did not even enter my mind and I do not think the buyer was the one that reported me.. However they told me my item was being removed.. and it was. They also told me I was not to relist it.. I do not have it to relist, and I would not , now that I know.. That is like bear claws, and I have lots of jewelry with those.. AND see alot listed that say faux that are not.. However that is not my business and I do not have time to police Ebay.

Thanks again..

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I knew ivory wasn't permitted but I would not have thought about elk tooth either.
Now you know with just a warning and let others know.
We have to watch out for each other.
Sorry that happened to you though:(
Nothing is impossible for God.
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

I am so sorry, I had no idea that Elk Teeth were Ivory 😞
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

I got one too. I thought as long as the item was truly an antique that it was ok to list. Your item has to be 95% some other material and 5% or less ivory It's no big deal as long as they don't catch you doing it again
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Thanks again..

OCN It is not your fault.. I am just glad It sold before they slapped me 🙂 I didn't even know it was an elk tooth, untill I searched and saw others.. It was nice oak leaves and looked like an acorn to me 🙂 However I did list it as an elk tooth and it was old.. Now I know !

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Looks like you can sell the antlers but not the teeth. Go figure. The antlers are shed annually like deer antlers, so I guess nobody cares about those.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

And yet, things like this (121477263338) are allowed to slip under the radar and be sold.  Sorry this happened to you, rain. 

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 15 of 26
latest reply