cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with this Art Deco Deco Purple Jade or Chalcedony Sterling Bracelet?

Greetings and I hope I chose the Right Group to aid me with this lovely bracelet. I have spent hours researching, and am only becoming MORE confused!
So counting on one of you to give me the Correct Info before I list this bracelet. I was told it is Lavender Purple Jade by the lady I bought it from. But on the other Jewelry boards, I was told it looks like Dyed Chalcedony? Faceted Rectangle Cut stone. So I did more research, and I agree it looks more like Chalcedony than Purple Jade. And I'm guessing the softer hued stone is "Mojave Blue"? See how fast I'm learning? 🙂 I do believe it is Art Deco. Am going to take it to a jeweler for his opinion, but he's rarely open, so here I am! 🙂 Any help Appreciated!! Thank you in advance! Jade Bracelet Boards 002.jpgJade Bracelet Boards 003.jpgJade Bracelet Boards 004.jpgJade Bracelet Boards 001.jpg

Curious Minds want to Know
Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

What a beautiful piece, I agree classic 1920's 1930's art deco piece. My guess would be glass but there is no way to tell with out having the stones tested.

An umbrella and a mind have a lot in common, they both function better when open.
Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Until you get it tested, I believe you have gotten the best information here;

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Jewelry-Gemstones/Please-help-date-this-Purple-Jade-Silver-Filigree-Bra...

that you can receive from a picture. 

We will be interested to know what your jeweler has to say.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Thanks so much! I hope to see him today or tomorrow! Will keep you posted! 🙂

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

So very pretty , I love it ! I do see the Sterling Mark which we know is a mark used earlier than 925 . I associate this fillagree work with Edwardian times . Also I wanted to let you know you are on the right track with the stones . I wear a pair of Lavender Jade earrings almost every day . My mother gifted them to me in the 90's . I wanted to show you a picture of the color for reference . lavender Jade is much lighter in color than your stones . Please do keep us posted , I'm curious .
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Thanks for sharing! I do see there are dyed purple shades that look like my bracelet. But now I'm almost convinced they ARE Chalcedony. Am finally seeing the jeweler tomorrow! Stay Tuned! 🙂 So in your opinion, these might be Edwardian? I do need to get the correct date before I can list it 🙂 Lovely earrings, by the way 🙂 Thanks so much!
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

I see nothing to suggest this is"deco" or an older piece. The wire filagree looks a little like that from Croatia/eastern Europe,but the frames and setting don't. This could be a newer "retro" piece from Thailand dating to the 1980's/90's.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

It's 1920s American, best guess.  The stones could be real or just glass; I've seen both.  Many of these came out of  North Attleboro Mass, but they were probably made in Rhode Island and New York too.  That clasp wouldn't be used on anything newer.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Oh Dear! Now I'm more confused than ever! 🙂 I appreciate all your input. Everyone seems to sound so sure of their opinion! 🙂 Wish it were an older piece. Am hoping the jeweler will be able to tell me the "Truth".  Holly, any links you can send to show me the pieces you mean? Even to me, it looks "old" 🙂
And these stones might be glass? I'm curious about what you say, Evelyn?, about Mass or Rhode Island as a source for the stones? Are you just referring to the "Stones", or the whole bracelet? Sorry to sound so Incoherent, but this is out of my Realm! Thanks so much for any more clarification! Stay tuned!!
And I have another "deco" bracelet I may have to post for your expert opinions:) Appreciate your time! 🙂

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

I was also looking at the clasp , it does look older . Along with the color of the silver , the double claw prongs , and the "Sterling " Mark . All of these characteristics make me think the bracelet is vintage , rather than newer made to look vintage .
Message 10 of 32
latest reply

I second mermaid. SHe pointed out the most relevant characteristics that say this bracelet is old.

I dont think modern creations would use this clasp, and would probably have less metal on the prongs

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 11 of 32
latest reply

I'm going to add my voice here and agree that this is older. I don't see a single thing that makes me think this is a new production out of Thailand.  

There's no need for any confusion, you have  a  lot of posters in agreement here!

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

I will again, state it's older for the reasons given of the prongs and clasp. Another reason is you would not see the pattern on the links between the stations on a newer piece, the new ones have plain links to cut down on the production costs.

Most American manufacturers in the 1900's were located in Mass., RI, NY and Conn.

An umbrella and a mind have a lot in common, they both function better when open.
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

The filagree is a sawtooth wire ,most American filagree isn't. See bracelet with same type and shape "triangular" filagree "Sebasilver filagree.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply