cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with bakelite testing

So the friction sniff they all smell the same so I tested with simichrome am I doing something wrong the first black is a no but all others appear as positive...P4010166.JPG

P4010167.JPG

P4010168.JPG

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

P4010169.JPG

P4010170.JPG

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

The two apple juice colored pieces look like prystal bakelite, and the color on the swab looks good on the last piece.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Seems like I read somewhere black (or was it red)  can be difficult to test? 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Both red and black bakelite can be difficult to test.  If it looks like bakelite, and smells like bakelite and is black or red, it probably is bakelite.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Yes, black and red can sometimes be hard to test.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The backs are different the one that test positive is smooth and finished the other is more a matte finish like a chalkboard. All the black ones I can find online so far are smooth and finishedSmiley Frustrated

P4010167.JPG

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Found it:  (sorry for some reason I can`t copy paste it all  here  so had to type out the pertinent part)

..........If it`s Bakelite the cloth should turn yellow with ease. If a piece is laquered it may test negative.

Black Bakelite pieces often fail this test as well. Use the other tests above to confirm authenticity if the piece you suspect to be Bakelite fails with the Simichrome

The other tests mentioned were Feel, Smell, Sight, & 409

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Also, construction should be considered, you pieces look right.

Pin stems and clip backs should be screwed into the plastic, glued on backs are suspect. Plus, is it carved, not molded? Do you see mold lines? Bakelite was never molded so the edges should be sharper, not rounded over, and there should be no mold lines 🙂
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

How come I can never smell bakelite? I tried the warm water and rub method and I can never tell.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I always rub until it warms my finger a lot and I use hot water. The smell is to be desired. I usually can't afford bakelite when I find it but I purchased a few recently I could afford. This is the first time I have ever tested with simichrome and got a positive resultSmiley Happy I didn't see any mold lines, but will find my loop and look again.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I only get it by mistake....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

The Awesome Cleaner from Dollar Tree also works I've found from another board and have tested it,  soI  can confirm.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply