cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you ever just purged your collection? And hello!

I haven't been on here in awhile so hello everyone!

I have a question for fellow jewelry hoarders (ahem, collectors 🙂 out there. Have you ever just thought "to heck with this, I'm selling everything?" It occured to me a few months ago, so I made an effort to take all the pieces I might ever wear out of the display cases and put them in my jewelry boxes. What was left was a hodge podge of "stuff" from all my eras as a collector (the Dodds Cat brooch phase, the victorian bypass bracelet phase, the mourning/picture jewelry etc.). I then took out all my family pieces and all the pieces that would break my heart and I think I'm just going to sell all the rest. DH and DM said "don't do it, you'll regret it". But I don't have any kids and it's just sitting in a case in the corner of my dining room doing nothing. And now I'm thinking I should break it all out for profit, but then I think if I have to handle and list every piece, I'll NEVER let them go! But then grouping won't even get me my investment back . . . I'm confused.

Did any of you ever purge and, if so, did you regret it or what?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I started purging about a year ago. Selling off jewelry, childhood toys and anything else I have time to list. So far, no regrets. Since I'm not working anymore, I seldom wear my jewelry. In fact, I feel pretty good about getting rid of things. Gives me another inch of space!!!! And extra spending money for the estate sales!

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

OMG, I have to have your cat brooch with the little red rhinestone on his rear! Adorable and SO french!

I think if I just start listing them, I'll be fine. We're going to Italy in a few months and I want some spending money - to buy jewelry 🙂

And cat's with beads on their butts Cat Tongue

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Lucky you! I'd be listing constantly for the extra cash to spend in Italy. Good luck, it really gets easier by the day purging.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Too funny! You're suppose to be purging for spending money in Italy, not buying Cats! But thanks for giving me a smitgen of space...........................

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

When I want to purge I do what you have done . Keep a few pieces that are dear to me and then I sell the rest . I feel like I don't need 10 or 20 of something ( cat pins , Victorian bypass , etc . ) . Maybe just keep your favorite 1 or 2 of each . Then let it go . It does feel good ! 

Our very own Joolie Sarah from here in this group sold a huge collection recently all in one lot . It covered her whole bed . I think I remember her saying it was her whole collection . She wanted the space for her office and to start over . I was surprised and quite nervous for her , but it all worked out great . It was the most exciting end to an auction I have seen in a very long time . During the last 30 seconds the price tripled . You can look for it on our thread " Great Finishes " ^^^^^^^^^ above .

Good of luck to you ! Hope you make a mint ! 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

In the past, I've started throwing jewelry in a box, think about listing as a huge lot, the have donated it all to a thrift that benefits the humane society. With all the listing sales the past year, I've been able to list a lot of pieces individually. Right now, my desk is covered in jewelry that I've taken pics of and am just waiting for the next round...

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

A few years ago I decided to go through my jewelry box and pick out things I just don't wear. I did sell them and no regrets. Of course, I've bought a few things since then Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Hey Bonnie, LTNS! Good to see you here again.

Purging a collection is good for you, seriously. I also don't have kids and a few years ago I took a good look at all the jewelry etc and wondered "why the heck am I hanging onto this?"

I started selling online (not here on eBay, on another site) about 1 1/2 years ago  .... and haven't looked back.

I don't miss a single item I've sold. I've connected with buyers who share my taste, and who have bought thousands of dollars worth of items from me.

It feels good to  know that the treasures I've loved are being enjoyed by new owners.

So yes, sell your stuff and have fun in Italy .... or wherever else you will be going to with the $$$$ you can make from you items.

Now the question is ..... Bonnie are you going to open auctions to Canadian buyers so I can buy some of your items????? LOL

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Yes, I did a MAJOR purge when my middle daughter was accepted to medical school. Helping her was more important than my pretty sparkly jewlery. So, you need a good reason to do this. Anything on your bucket list that extra money could help you pay for? Sell your stuff to someone who will love and appreciate it while you fulfill a dream!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply