cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone seen this unsigned jelly belly horse head before?

I found you guys! (I think) I looked all over last night and finally posted this somewhere. I'm going to repost it here

Can someone please tell me if this is a bookpiece? I have found mention that it is on Page138 of Brunialti's "American Costume Jewelry" but I can't find anything on the web showing that page.

The jelly belly piece is unsigned, measures 2" high x 2.4" wide and was made in 1946 by Packales. (I did find an newspaper advert online)

Your thoughts would be appreciated

DSC_0130.JPG

DSC_0131.JPG

DSC_0141.JPG

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I looked on page 138 of both volumes of Brunialti's American Costume Jewelry and your horse was not on either page.  I looked up Packales in these books and found reference to them on page 187 of volume 2 of this set.  In talking about the horse head jelly belly they talked about how S. Packales company copied Trifari's design almost two years after Trifari produced theirs with patent no 138353.  Packales advertized their piece in 1946 under the name "Horse Head Pin" snd it sold for $2.00.  The book goes on to say "The item by Packales was slightly larger, made of molded sterling and lucite, very light and rather badly finished."  Unfortunately, there is no photo of the Packales pin.  But if your pin is not sterling, it may not be the Packales horses head.  There were a number of copies of this pin made by a number of different companies.  I hope this information was helpful to you.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thanks flipping, I thought that, I think someone was dreaming. I figured if if was in a book, there would be more info. on it.

Here's the actual 1946 ad.

horse head pin ad.jpg

Message 3 of 4
latest reply