cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Golden Unicorn, Literally

This necklace is what my childhood dreams were made of!  I got this at the flea market.  When I saw it,  I thought that is a good gold plate,  the color is bright.  I purely bought it for the nostalgia factor though. 

When I got it home I noticed on the necklace clasp it says 14K AC .  Do y’al know anything about that?  What is the AC? I haven’t seen a definite mark on the pendant yet.  There is a mark that looks like a name,  but I think it’s from the diamond cut on the front.  

Im going to get my Dad to test it.  He is very good at that.  I just wanted to run it by y’all first.  

Mermaid 🧜🏽‍♀️

F4EE6EE7-EB6D-4E6B-8B09-BFCBA9F61C77.jpeg

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

2399162A-7A18-44B5-A2E0-AF78CA1D72F0.jpeg60FA7A22-00F1-4223-80D0-0B84134568C4.jpeg

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Sorry,  it’s hard to get a good photo today. 

2E754A9D-9EA1-4BC9-9182-5FF755E5D2FD.jpeg

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Lovely find,  Mermaid!  

The AC would be the maker's mark after the 14k on the chain.

To me, the Unicorn looks like it's either 10 or 14k. I am betting it is the "real deal".

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I can't see in your pic posted,  but is the part marked "14k AC" soldered closed where it is attached to the rest of the chain?

Over the years I learned to always check to make sure  that the part that is marked 14k is permanently attached to the rest of the chain.  If it isn't, it  could be a red flag. 

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

If the clasp is marked too, that's a good sign.  The unicorn itself is looking good for the real deal; I couldn't see the mark. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

So purdy!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I blew it up as best I could..I see a jump ring at one end..so it very well could be a replacement 'tag'.  Seems like the little moveable 'lever' on  that type of gold or sterling lobster clasps are normally marked also?  At least many are.

Hopefully the pendant &/or chain will both  test positive

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Arlene,  Looks like the ring is not soldered together.  It could have been opened or even replaced.  Thanks for the heads up.  

Ev,  I swear it looks like there is a name on the back of the head,  but it’s most likely just the diamond cutting on the cheek.  It also really looks like the bale of the actual pendant could be marked,  but again I can’t make it out.  I will keep trying.  

Sarah,  I don’t see any marks on the lobster claw.  It’s amazing how little dents and dings can fool you for a moment. 

Either way I’m ok with it.   I just love the lil guy.

Im gonna take a break cause my eyes are crossing! 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Looks like you found a golden treasure, mermaid!  I'll bet the unicorn head is gold, too.  Neat the way your love of unicorns led you to this necklace.  Good for you!  Let us know the results, but it looks good to me!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Awww thanks Dream.  I’m nostalgic about them and they make me feel young.  Obviously I’m not the only one because they have been having a moment for a FEW YEARS now.   Haha!

Also found a unicorn turquoise cuff bracelet in the same booth.  The lady was close to my age and said they were her’s in the 80s.  Seems about right. 

I will let you know,

Mermaid 🦄

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Really pretty piece.  I hope it gold, but if not, wear it until the plating wears off!

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Well I guess I will have to wear it until the plate wears off,  which could take a while since it hasn’t happened yet,  or there is always the other option,   sell it with full disclosure.   It took a while,  but the results are in and this golden unicorn is shockingly not real.  

Mermaid 🦄

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Bummer, I could have sworn it was from the picture it looked so good. Bah, oh well enjoy it anyway, it is very sweet.

I am curious, is the chain not gold either?

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

I could have sworn it was the real deal, too.  I'm sorry you're disappointed : (.  At least the chain is real gold, and it's still a unicorn, plated or otherwise.  A gold one will find you some day : ).

And where the heck are the emojii's?!?!  😳

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 15 of 20
latest reply