cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaith, Galalith or Carved Overdyed Celluloid?

This always makes me crazy, looking at this (broken) necklace.  From the books I've read I've always thought of it as carved overdyed celluloid.  Then from some discussions the consensus seems to be Galaith/French Bakelite.  Now I look up similar listings and the overwhelming majority list it as Galalith, which is a casein type plastic.  Gahhhhhhhhh!  Any opinions?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Have you ruled out dyed wood?  The large round carved bead could be galalith, but I am seeing things on the others that make me thing dyed wood.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I agree with flipping,,,the green and blue ridged beads look like wood, along with the little bell shaped pieces...I say wood too

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thanks for your replies-- to clarify, I meant only the multicolored ones...if you look up similar ones people list them variously as galaith, galalith, or overdyed celluloid.  The other beads are wood and there are a few white glass ones as well, but I was wondering which was the correct classification for the carved mulitcolor ones.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply