cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earrings Needing KWs

I plan on listing these in the near future and I know you guys are great at supplying key words. I'd appreciate whatever you can come up with. I don't know the era of these, or if they can be attributed to anything or anyone in particular. Possibly Native American but I wouldn't know what tribe so I won't call them NA. Missing one dangle, I think. Thanks in advance.    Rubiano

Native American Earrings Front.jpgNative American Earrings Backs.jpg

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Earrings Needing KWs

I had a pair like these they were marked QT Sterling for "Quoc Turquoise",

my mark was on the back behind the earring back..,,,,as for keywords I would use :

Southwestern since there is no hallmark right?? and be sure to use dangles maybe name a few of the stones. 

You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Earrings Needing KWs

I find no hallmarks using a magnifying glass. One of the sterling parts of a dangle is broken off.

'Stones' that I see are: spiny oyster, malachite, turquoise, lapis and coral. I don't know what the pink stuff is at the top of the dangles.

Thanks for your input.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Earrings Needing KWs

Maybe "Concho" also ??

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Earrings Needing KWs

Concho is good.

I think I see a letter or a number hanging out of where the clips are attached.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Earrings Needing KWs

Maybe the pink is also spiny oyster??

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Earrings Needing KWs

I believe it is spiny oyster.

I'm going to call them Q.O.C. because I'm 99.9% positive that is what they are. I'm not going to call them NA tho'. I'll let potential buyers draw their own conclusions.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Earrings Needing KWs

I think they're Zuni. The silver and multi-stone inlay on the concho part of the earrings is very typical of Zuni work, so I searched eBay for Zuni inlay concho earrings and found a couple of currently-listed pairs that closely resemble yours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ZUNI-Sterling-Silver-Concho-Inlaid-Multi-Stone-EARRINGS-Signed-STC-/...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Zuni-Concho-Signed-Q-T-Sterling-Silver-Inlaid-Stones-Earrings-Pretty...

I recently had to do research on a pair of QUOC earrings I wanted to list, and what I discovered is that QUOC pieces are typically signed -- usually Q.T Sterling -- and are listed, here on eBay, using the following designations: QUOC ~ QT ~ Q.T.

One unusual thing about your earrings are the clip-backs. Although I do run across some clip-backs, from time to time, the vast majoirty of the vintage Native American-made earrings I see were made for pierced ears, and most of those feature posts. I wonder if the clip-backs might indicate that your earrings are older than much of the vintage Native American silver jewelry that's out there, but I don't know.

What I also found, in my online research, is that many, if not most, vintage Native American sterling silver jewelry was not signed. For instance, I bought this pair of earrings at a tiny local shop -- in So. Cal. -- about 40 years ago. The shop stocked exclusively Native American handcrafted items -- primarily Navajo and Zuni -- and the owners traveled to the reservations to purchase their stock, so I'm positive that these earrings are Native American (probably Navajo), but they aren't signed.

005.JPG024.JPG

So, yeah .... I think your earrings are vintage unsigned Zuni.

Note: Sorry for the enormous photo of the front of the earrings! I must have experienced another of my increasingly-frequent "senior-moments" when choosing the file size. Sheesh.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Earrings Needing KWs

What a wealth of interesting information you have provided. I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

I will not call mine QT, or anything specific. Would it be considered acceptable to list them in the Ethnic/Tribal  category as well as the VIntage one?

Thank you again.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Earrings Needing KWs

What a wealth of interesting information you have provided. I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

I will not call mine QT, or anything specific. Would it be considered acceptable to list them in the Ethnic/Tribal  category as well as the VIntage one?

Thank you again.

Oh, you're very welcome! I'm currently sitting on a terrific pair of vintage, Native American sterling and turquoise earrings, because I can't find any information about the picto-marks on the back, marks which appear, to me, to be a pair of snake heads. It's very frustrating, isn't it, to think you might have something kind of special but then, to hit a wall, when you try to do research? I currently have e-mail inquiries out to two online sources which provide photos and attributions for many Native American signatures and picto-marks, but I haven't yet heard anything back from either of them, and so, the beautiful turquoise earrings sit in a little box, awaiting additional information! Oof.

As I say, from all of the reading I did, when I was researching several pairs of vintage sterling earrings, what I found was that, not just some, but most Native American-made earrings were left unsigned, unmarked, so it doesn't make sense to me that only signed pieces can be listed as Native American. Those concho earrings I currently have listed were purchased four decades ago, in a shop that sold nothing but Native American handrafted items, so I know that they are authentic, but they're unsigned! So I decided not to let the fact that they are unsigned deter me from listing them where I felt they belonged. I did note, in my "Item Description" area, that the earrings are unsigned, and I provided good, clear photos of them, front and back.

If I were listing your earrings, I'd list them as Vintage Unsigned Zuni Sterling Silver Concho Dangle Earrings ~ Clip On, if you have room for all of that verbiage. That complex inlay / multi-stone technique is just so typical of Zuni work, and IMO, you'd be safe in describing them as unsigned Zuni.

In re: to a category for your earrings ... I'm a fairly new seller here -- I've been at it for only about five months now -- and, sometimes, choosing a category and sub-categories seems to be the most troublesome thing I have to do when I list! 

In my listing for the concho earrings I pictured in my last post -- as well as two other pairs I currently have listed -- I've got them categorized as Jewelry & Watches > Ethnic, Regional & Tribal > Native American > Earrings. The thing is that, if you change Ethnic, Regional & Tribal to Vintage & Antique Jewelry, the only available sub-category for Native American jewelry is Native American (pre-1935). The other two options there, which might, theoretically, be useful, are Southwestern and Other Vintage Ethnic Jewelry.

However, in an attempt to determine the manner in which I should categorize my own listings, I've spent some time, here on eBay, looking at other vintage Native American jewelry listings, and here's what I've found: The vast majority of sellers seem to use the Jewelry & Watches > Ethnic, Regional & Tribal > Native American > Earrings category, not the Jewelry & Watches > Vintage & Antique category, and so that's what I've done, as well. Additionally, using the word vintage in your listing title is, I think, a good alternative to having to tie yourself into knots, trying to figure out how to shoehorn your 1950s-1980s Native American jewelry into a Vintage Jewelry category. I suppose a third option would be to list your earrings under two categories, if you're up for paying the fee to do that.

One final note: Don't forget to mention, in either the listing title, or the item description, or both, that your earrings are clip-on style, because, in my experience, Native American clip-on earrings are a bit unusual, and some potential buyers might fail to look closely at all of your listing photos, and might miss the fact that they are clip-ons, and not post, earrings. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Earrings Needing KWs

One final thought: When you photograph the backside of the earrings for your listing, take, and post, photos of them with the clips in the closed position -- as in the photo you posted here -- and, additionally, photos of them with the clips in the open position, so that buyers can see what, if anything, is underneath the clip mechanisms.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Earrings Needing KWs

I had a set like that - earrings and bracelet - and got Very Nice money for them.  The inlaid stones are very desireable! Good find.  Pierced earrings tend to do much better for me than clipon or screwback but those are really pretty!  it looks like Red Jasper, Onyx (or malachite if that stripe across the middle is green), Lapis, pink coral, and turquoise.  Can you tell if they are sterling?

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Earrings Needing KWs

Yes, they are definitely sterling.

Not sure if they'll get listed this month as I have company staying with me and then surgery later on in July. Listing many of my jewelry pieces will be a good project during my recovery period - no vigorous physical activity required.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply