cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal necklace with sterling closure, is it possible that this is rock crystal?

Please help,,,is it possible that this is rock crystal

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Crystal necklace with sterling closure, is it possible that this is rock crystal?

It's possible but the bicone's are a very common glass crystal shape and the facets on the rounds are commonly associated with glass. Pieces made entirely out of high quality and well cut rock crystal are somewhat rare. A thermoconductivity test (gem tester) would help figure it out. Checking for inclusions would help too, but rock crystal can be flawless.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Hi Mimi

This is where a gem tester comes in so handy, LOL. Unless there are bubbles in the glass, this can be very tricky!

On the old board someone posted a tip about rock crystal.

If you have a faceted  necklace that you know to be glass and not rock crystal put that against your cheek to feel for temperature, then, put this one against your cheek.

If these beads feel  a lot colder than known glass ones, there is a chance they might be rock crystal, so you would want to have it checked out. Just be sure to store the necklaces in the same conditions overnight prior to doing this test.

I tried this and it really is quite impressive how much colder the rock crystal beads are than glass. Major difference in temp.

Of course this won't be defiinitive - for that you need  a gemologist or a gem tester.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Thanks Arlene and Defeldo, I appreciate the help.   I am going to see if I can find a gemologist to "take a look" at it and test it with their tester as I don't own one. 

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I think I read that if it were rock crystal that the string in the bead would appear double.. and glass not double. However not sure about manufactored lead crystal? Very nice necklace by the way 🙂

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

The Cold on the Cheek Test is my first go-to when I'm shopping, they are also quite a bit heavier than glass.

I've been pretty lucky so far, most have tested as rock crystal when I get home.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I think I might have to carry a faceted glass  necklace in my purse in future so that I can do a comparison when I am out and about. I never thought about that before but it would be so useful.

What  with running pearls across the teeth, rubbing and sniffing for Bakelite, and surreptitiously  whipping out the loupe ... what a sight we probably all are on the rounds!

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Arlene, so true. Then there are those of us who like to check the bottom of China when we go out to eat 😉

Mimi, if you want I can test the necklace for you, I have tested pieces for other boardies. You would mail it to me, I will test it and mail it back the same day. If you are OK with that and want me to test it just message me and I will sen you my address 🙂
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I am more than happy to send it to you to have you test it, although I hate to put you through it..

I keep telling myself I am going to buy a gem tester, but can't seem to make myself part with the money to do it...

Thank you

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

It's my pleasure, see your messages, I will send you my address 🙂
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Hi Mimi,

Just sent the necklace back. The bicone beads are glass, the round beads are absolutely, positively rock crystal Smiley Happy I thought so as soon as I picked it up because the necklace is heavier for its size.

Congratulations!!!

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

OK, I am really confused.  I thought pools of light and rock crystal were the same thing?  Is that incorrect?  And then I thought the pools of light beads were caged in wire because they couldn't be drilled--is that also incorrect? Help!  Somewhere I must have gotten somethiing cattywampus in my lttle bitty mind.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Pools of light are made from undrilled Clear Quartz Crystal. Rock Crystal is the Gemmy name for Quartz 🙂
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

p.s. Wanted to add that maybe the term Rock is meant to differentiate items that are made from Quartz rather than Leaded Glass. I don't know but that is how my brain has put it together.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

That makes sense, OCN.

Great that you could get this confirmed, Mimi, Marie is such a star.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply