cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication fine print.

I'm writing to recommend this thread on the Selling Board, Jewelry Authenticity Guarentee concerns - The eBay Community, particularly the contribution by @valueaddedresource.

I learned more about the differences among authenticity programs and insight into the return process under jewelry authentication.  Somewhat disgusted, but not surprised, that even after authentication, eBay allows a buyer to claim an item isn't as described. The only benefit of the program to the seller is the certainty of not getting back a box of rocks -- and the extra fees.

(As an aside, sold a lot of jewelry at auction over the weekend for $29.99. Thank you for the sale!  BUT .... apportioning it out, ebay took $4.75 fees on the price, another $1 on shipping cost, and  $.50 on sales tax!  Man, that is expensive.  And eBay was also being paid by USPS and the tax agencies for those "services." MAN!)

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

They only charged you $6.25 in fees on a $29.99 sale?   That's actually not bad, considering; weightier items can get smacked with about 30% in fees.    Most jewelry sellers on this board know more about the Authentication disservice than they really care to.   That said, some will go take a look.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I had a friend list a gold and diamond cross on auction.  When it hit $500, she was automatically opted in to the authentication program.  The second time, she took a diamond ring to a GIA certified jeweler who removed the diamond from the ring to appraise it.  It was returned by ebay because it didn't match THEIR appraiser's assessment and she lost the sale.  

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

((rolleyes))  Typical.  It sounds like the jewelry autheticators took lessons from the sneaker guys.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 4 of 4
latest reply