cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Verifying Probable 1930s Julie Ann Shreve Island Plantation Doll?

My Mom grew up in the 1930s and remembers this doll to have been hand-made by a family neighbor of hers who was a children's book illustrator (Doris Hauman). I had no reason to question this, as we have some of Doris's artworks and gifts still at Mom's house and she was in fact, very very good. However, I began my discovery and noticed similarities with the Shreve Island Plantation Julie Ann Dolls. 

This doll is 3 and 3/4 inches tall. I cannot tell what she's made of, though will try to verify Bakelite content once I've gotten my hands on some 409 spray. The hot water test I did was inconclusive,  especially given that any results obtained via this method in the past were remarkably (pungent). 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

momsdoll.jpgmomsdoll2.jpg

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Your doll looks to be an original Shreve Island Plantation Julie Ann doll. No need to test for Bakelite as the doll is made of cypress wood and then hand painted. If you search current listings you will find a wonderful article about these dolls that someone is selling. I would bid on your doll if you list it. 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Your doll looks to be an original Shreve Island Plantation Julie Ann doll. No need to test for Bakelite as the doll is made of cypress wood and then hand painted. If you search current listings you will find a wonderful article about these dolls that someone is selling. I would bid on your doll if you list it. 🙂

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I'm sorry for my delayed response and thank you very much for your fast response. 

I showed my mom this posting and your response, and interestingly, she told me that she had meant a different doll, a marionette was the one made by the family friend. (I'll attach below). 

It's pretty impressive that you can discern the material a doll is made of, even underneath a layer of paint! I had thought it was too light overall to have any Bakelite in it and you confirmed..

Thanks again for your help. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply