cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluorite vs. Hiddenite - Jadeite Filter

I have what was sold to me as a bright apple green fluorite, and had no reason to doubt it. When checked under the Jadeite filter, all the other Fluorites turn a reddish color, but this bright green one turns sort of a pink/flesh color. I have no idea what it is, but it isnt Fluorite. Any ideas as to what it may be? It could be a green topaz, or Hiddenite possibly, or something else all together. I dont wanna spend 50+ dollars to find out unless I have too, but hoping someone may know more than  I do about this. Thanks.HIDDENITE NEW 2.jpgHIDDENITE NEW 3.jpg

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Fluorite vs. Hiddenite - Jadeite Filter

No one will be able to give you an answer with any certainty based on pics alone.  Chelsea / Jadeite Filters are not the most reliable sources of information for stone identification.  They give quick clues to what a stone is or is not, but nothing definitive.  Start with a refractometer and a polariscope, they will tell you much more than a chelsea filter ever will.  Flourite is one of the few stones that is singly refractive, and hiddenite is doubly refractive, so a polariscope will put you on the right track.  Add in a refractive index from the refractometer, and you'll be able to pin point what the stone truly is or is not.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply