cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

friendly thoughts for chanel..coach..other designer "authenticators"

First of all thank you to the many authenticators out there that are a tremendous help to newbie sellers.

What makes you so great is that you tell us "Why" something isn't real.

And thats what I would like to politely say to the rest of you "authenticators"...

Simply posting comments like "It's a fake." "obvious fake"(may be obvious to you who look at chanel coach etc a thousand times but not to the person who may see a piece of chanel once in a lifetime.

If you are going to tell someone it is a fake...please tell us why.

I have been selling for about 7 years and have had only 5 pieces of chanel in my hands...of which only 2 were real.Since they were all totally different items what I learned from the one did not apply to the others.So unless I find another black sequin runway top I still couldn't tell you if a piece of chanel is authentic..so I depend on authenticaters for their help...not just to say "it's a fake"

Special thanks here to albertabrightalberta and genemaat.

They don't just say..Fake..take it back..Obvoius Fake etc...they provide really great explantions..thanks

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I just want to comment on the "why" of something being fake.

There are some authenticators here and on other forums who are reluctant to be too specific about why items are fake because that information can either help counterfeiters make better fakes as well as let dishonest sellers know what parts NOT to show in their listings.

Unfortunately, there are many sellers who know exactly what type of shyte they're peddling and they know that hardware markings, fonts, date codes, serial numbers, linings, etc. are crucial parts necessary to the authentication process. So often, those sellers will show the parts but purposely take pics that are too blurry or too far away for an accurate authentication.

My point is that isn't not necessarily our intention not to help posters but rather, to make it more difficult for dishonest people.
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You make a valid point but some do feel that giving too much information helps lurking counterfeiters. I personally don't think that's a really valid issue as most counterfeiters do buy actual authentic product to copy. 

I know i'm happy to help but am personally not interested in giving "designer 101" on these boards so I try to keep it simple-wrong font, etc. My goal is to try and save people the $7.50 plus that they'd spend for authenticating a fake and I feel that it's up to each person who seeks help here to contribute their time too by doing some research and certainly checking boardie history to see who has history on specific brands or categories. 

I also feel that those that don't want to go by my opinions can seek help elsewhere and I say that respectfully. There are other boards that will also only say "authentic" or "counterfeit".

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Sniped LOL

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@jsales0 wrote:

Sniped LOL

GMTA. We've been hanging around the same places too long!

BTW, I tend to give more information than I probably should.

albertabrightalberta

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I think what I'm most against (and I'm very aware that many respected boardies do it) is the posting of side by side detailed pictures clearly showing what's wrong. It's just  too much info IMO but that's just my opinion.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Yup, I've been known to do it.

Depending on my mood, I flip-flop back and forth in how much I saw and post. I'm not naive enough to think that the counterfeiters go by my pictures to construct their AAA fakes however I'm well aware that less-than-honorable sellers do troll the boards and other forums to learn how to stay under the radar.
albertabrightalberta

Message 7 of 7
latest reply