cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watch out for fake Tom Ford and other "High End" fragrances

I was really surprised how many scammers are making a business off selling Fake expensive Tom Ford fake perfumes. I even found one of the sellers mentioned in this YouTube video on fake TF fragrances sold on eBay  alive and well two years later. I found at least 5 auctions duping unsuspecting buyers out of hard earned money. Shame on you eBay for doing so little about this huge problem. A big part of the problem is that just like Facebook, eBay makes millions off scammers everyday. People are spending hundreds on these knock off perfumes. Not everyone watches the you tube videos.  Also, the products are being sold " new without box" since the cheap boxes are often the biggest clue, short of weighing the bottles. Sad, but many unsuspecting buyers don't even know it. This is why feedback is not revealing the huge problem. But many of the bogus perfume sellers have suspiciously new accounts.   But this post is more about giving a head's up to fellow members.  Buyer beware!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

As many listings as there are on Ebay, there's no way they can check every item to make sure they are legit.

But yes, there are a lot of fakes sold here and buyers need to report them.

Unless the listings are reported, it's hard to get them removed.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Ebay doesn't like fakes any more than you do.   But ebay has a mechanism for detecting and removing them.   It is called the Money Back Guarantee.

All a buyer has to do is open a case with ebay for item not-as-described and the seller will have to refund the buyer's money.    Now if the buyer has no clue that the item they bought was fake, the buyer will be perfectly happy with their purchase.

As for other parties reporting listings as fake, that is a waste of time.   Ebay will never act on such reports as the reporter has no credentials as an expert or may be a malicious competitor.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

For years I have watched this and reported it, and nothing is ever done. It is worse around holidays..Easter, Mother’s Day , etc. what I noticed is most of these sellers have no history, and they tend to operate in rings. Since most of them are sealed if it is gift the buyer doesn’t even open it to smell. There are many videos on how to pick our fakes. One Lancome perfume watch this short video…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=bM4odpzbJ30

There are videos on every expensive perfume… we were in VietNam on a vacation and there was a park full of fake perfume for sale. $5. Also the sellers tend to sell Estée Lauder Beautiful quite a bit, and normally use a stock photo.

As the old term states “If you think you got a good deal…you might want to think again”

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for your suggestion. I took your advice and reported a clear fake from a new seller. This was the response that I received: 

"Hello couturehomecollection,
Thanks again for reporting the listing(s) you found. 

What happened:
We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy.  This determination was made by a customer service agent.

If you reported content that isn’t listed below, we’ll send a separate email once we’ve made a decision. 

Here are the listings you reported that are included in this decision:
Item: [hidden ] Parfums de Marly Percival 4.2 fl oz Men's Eau de Parfum

Thank you for being part of the eBay community.
Thanks,
eBay
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

They are definitely not proactive on this issue. However keep reporting them. These people hurt our business also. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply