cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage scarves: need help with some signatures

Hi, All:

I have two vintage scarves whose signatures are giving me some trouble.

First is an early 1960s souvenir silk scarf from an Italian cruise ship line. To me the signature reads "Astor", "Aston". What do you see?

Second is a silk scarf depicting a somewhat freeform, abstract floral motif. Not sure of the age--it's probably 1950s or 60s. The signature clearly says "Francoise".  My online research doesn't turn up any matches to the signature style--although there are a few widely known scarf designers named Francoise. Any ideas on who this "Francoise" might be?

Thanks and best wishes.

AstorAston2.jpgAstorAston1.jpgFrancoise2.jpgFrancoise1.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

#1 No clue!

#2 is a souvenir scarf given out by Home Lines cruises on one of their ships, the Homeric

#3 is Francoise Guerin

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thanks, albertabrightalberta!

I should have clarified this better when posting my photos--but the first two photos belong together. #1 is a close-up that shows the signature on the cruise line scarf. #2 is an image of the cruise line scarf in full, just for some context. Same goes for the second two photos. #3 is a close-up of the Francoise signature, and #4 is a photo of the whole scarf on which the signature is found.

Francoise Guerin: I was also thinking that the signature on my scarf was for this designer. But, the last half of the signature on my scarf looks different to me than other Guerin signatures. That is--"Franc..." looks a lot like other Guerin signatures. But, the "...oise" on my scarf looks different from other Guerin signatures I've found. The "o" on my scarf is open at the top (the "o" is closed on the other Guerin signatures I've found). Also, the "s" on my scarf is in script, while the other Guerin signatures I've found shows a more plain "s".

I wish mine were a Guerin scarf!  But, I'm not quite sure about that yet. Best wishes. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@ddesjard-7 wrote:

Thanks, albertabrightalberta!

Francoise Guerin: I was also thinking that the signature on my scarf was for this designer. But, the last half of the signature on my scarf looks different to me than other Guerin signatures. That is--"Franc..." looks a lot like other Guerin signatures. But, the "...oise" on my scarf looks different from other Guerin signatures I've found. The "o" on my scarf is open at the top (the "o" is closed on the other Guerin signatures I've found). Also, the "s" on my scarf is in script, while the other Guerin signatures I've found shows a more plain "s".

I wish mine were a Guerin scarf!  But, I'm not quite sure about that yet. Best wishes. 

I apologize! I looked and compared the signatures again and you're right. They're definitely different.  Your scarf isn't Guerin. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 11.06.07 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-01 at 11.04.13 AM.png

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks again!  But--see how similar the "Fran..." parts are? Crazy.  Well, I'll keep researching.  Best wishes.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply