cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to identify Fur . Thank you

Blaustein Fur Company 

Soft but a bit coarse . Not shiny 

Is it raccoon ? 

thank you !8CCD9A91-B2B2-4BA8-A7B1-11F434A7C2E3.jpeg8C31C220-1813-4DF6-89CA-6988149994BB.jpeg340DA688-1E08-4B7A-BFCF-1F4CD0D7319E.jpeg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Hi! That looks like maybe coyote fur to me. Its winter coat, not its summer coat. Coyote fur coats were once popular back in the heyday of real fur coats. I'm certainly no fur coat expert, but that would be my guess. It doesn't look like raccoon fur to me. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I agree with Ravensbeak, Its Coyote. Can you show a picture of the label?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hi . I am sorry I did not thank you for the advice . Thank you !

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I concur, coloring is more coyote-like.  Racoon looks similar, but the guard hairs are coarser & has a more silvery black look.  Just FYI. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Hi 2010cbcollection, I just happened-upon your Question here, while going onto the Forum just to browse.  I think your fur coat may be FOX.  I’m no expert on furs but I just want to give my input.  You asked if it might be raccoon and raccoon fur does have similarities with fox fur.  One thing about raccoon is it usually is not dyed and usually is its natural color—gray, black, etc.  Fox fur comes in several colors In including Arctic Fox (a possibility for yours?)  I can’t see or feel your fur coat in-person, so I can’t see the the “undercoat” (the thicker, denser hair near the skin.)  But the fur in-general looks “thick / dense / ‘heavy’ “ which tells me the “undercoat” hairs are pretty-dense.  The “guard hairs” are the top hairs and yours are long like Fox and raccoon.  The “pile “ or direction of the growth of the hairs looks right to me for Fox.  I immediately noticed what looks like several “pelts” (this is the number of animals / individual skins/furs used to make the coat.  Fur coats being made-up of a few to several, to “many” pelts sometimes—all sewn / stitched / combined together.  This is one reason mine is so expensive.  Mink are small and it takes a lot of “pelts” to construct a coat.  Say, 10 on average.  Note mink smaller pieces like stoles etc vs long coats—the long coat would be quite expensive.  I see what looks like “legs” or tails too with your coat.  This is consistent with fox.  There are what are called “Fox tail coats” also.  Several people here said your coat may be coyote.  I can understand that.  But I’m thinking fox.  Here’s what I would do.  I would contact this manufacturer which today is Schultz and M. Blaustein in Jersey:
http://sbfurs.com  Go to the menu where it had “Contact Us” info.  I think if you just send an email with a few good pictures (like these here except give a clear picture of the label and anything else tags etc.  Sometimes labels and tags gave the type of fur but I don’t think that’s the case here.)  Maybe inside the coat a picture too.  I’m thinking they will definitely be able to tell you what fur it is.  Ask for whatever other details they can give like age value style etc.  And thank them for their help, certainly.  Or, if there is a Furrier dealer near you, you can take the coat in and have them look at it.  We used-to have a Furrier near me but not anymore.  There are various online dealers who may offer to buy the coat from you also.  I’d be interested in hearing how you make out.  Good luck and be careful because furs can be quite valuable—try to get the best deal if selling (get 2-3 opinions or offers from professional Furriers / Fur Dealers.)  By the way, Coyote is apparently in somewhat of a good demand these days, it being fashionable in various clothing etc.  😇👍

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Fox is much softer than Coyote or Raccoon.   Of course, without feeling it, it's impossible to say for sure.  But I have owned coats of all 3 + mink & that looks exactly like Coyote to me, especially the guard hairs & the coloring.  My Coyote coat was trimmed in Fox & although they were both long hairs, they felt completely different.  I feel quite certain that it's Coyote, but we just can't tell for sure without touching it, in person.  

If you want to be totally sure OP,  take it to a Furrier.  Also, if you are keeping this for yourself, be aware that furs need cold storage in the off season.  A furrier can provide that service for a nominal fee. 

ETA:  I should add that if DJK is correct & it's Fox, it is most likely worth considerably more than Coyote, as Fox is a more desireable fur.  I still think it's Coyote, based on having owned one, but it may be worth paying a furrier a small fee (some will do it for free) to know for sure, as you'll likely get more for it if it's Fox. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 7 of 7
latest reply