cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this Chanel authentic?

Dear lovely members of this board,

Could you help me identify if this Chanel set that I got recently is real or fake. I tried to look online and did find another item with similar label/composition (https://www.styleandsalvage.com/products/large-chanel-1990s-navy-blue-sheer-mesh-wrap-cardigan-sweat...). This one below is also apparently authentic:

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 11.08.37 PM.png

Let me know if there are any Chanel experts here with a keen eye. Thank you!!

Chanel_Set.jpegChanel_Tags.jpegChanel_Tags2.jpeg

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The one in the link you provided was incorrectly dated as being from the 90s.  The date code on the label is 02 C which signifies 2002 Cruise collection.

The two pieces in your pics in your post have a date code of 03P which signifies 2003 Spring collection (P = Printemps - French for Spring)

The Chanel 2003 knit collection used that same small black label, so although you may have seen it in the Vintage Fashion Guild label resource as belonging to a 1980s knit, that label wasn't exclusively a 1980s.

Your pics of the pieces aren't clear enough for me to see the detail or the quality of the inner seaming but there are no red flags from what I do see.  If the seller offered it as a piece from the 80s or 90s - that is incorrect but it's a common error among sellers who may not know how to read the date codes on Chanel pieces.

Hope that helps.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The one in the link you provided was incorrectly dated as being from the 90s.  The date code on the label is 02 C which signifies 2002 Cruise collection.

The two pieces in your pics in your post have a date code of 03P which signifies 2003 Spring collection (P = Printemps - French for Spring)

The Chanel 2003 knit collection used that same small black label, so although you may have seen it in the Vintage Fashion Guild label resource as belonging to a 1980s knit, that label wasn't exclusively a 1980s.

Your pics of the pieces aren't clear enough for me to see the detail or the quality of the inner seaming but there are no red flags from what I do see.  If the seller offered it as a piece from the 80s or 90s - that is incorrect but it's a common error among sellers who may not know how to read the date codes on Chanel pieces.

Hope that helps.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you so much! This was actually really helpful and I was able to find another listing with the same top/label/composition and also found some runway photos of similar products. Appreciate the thoughtful and helpful response 🙂 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply