cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying a maker's mark on a plastic/lucite bangle

I got this bangle in a box of miscellaneous jewellery and the design is intriguing - I don't think it is just regular cheap plastic, it has a dull 'clack' against my teeth and where the dots are is slightly raised - not sure if that helps.  It has a maker's mark which I haven't been able to identify, next to it is possibly a materials label? but it's unreadable.  TBH, I'm just learning about jewellery since I got this box so my knowledge isn't great. I'll be gone today at a running event but back again in the evening so if I don't check in until then, that's why.  Thanks for any help!  

P1400088.jpg

P1400089a.jpg

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@wesk_36 

This particular designer Carlos Sobral ( as in OPs piece) uses Polyester resin and not bakelite. Ron and Esther Shultz uses old bakelite pieces from the midcentury in their jewelry.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Sorry - wrong board - I see there's a jewellery board and I'll ask here.  I didn't know there was one.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Bakelite?

-------------
Posting ID
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@chapeau-noir.   Hi Chap! Well I'm going to give you something to chew on as well as how to test for bakelite. 

Shultz bakelite artists, Ron and Esther are the present day masters of these types of bangles using old 30s-40s bakelite pieces. Yours is very much their style. 

Unfortunately I don't have the time to research their modern day logo but looking at the pics from you, I can see an S.   Cross your fingers that it's these artists! 

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/bakelite-jewelry-price-guide-4062356

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The picture I sent is a true Shultz bangle

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@chapeau-noir 

I posted the designer on the jewelry forum but for anyone else it is....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264862964495

Both of these contemporary artists have a huge following and their pieces are sought after and they can command the bucks$$.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@wesk_36 

This particular designer Carlos Sobral ( as in OPs piece) uses Polyester resin and not bakelite. Ron and Esther Shultz uses old bakelite pieces from the midcentury in their jewelry.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Well the Shultz makers mark is a print of the last name Shultz and the date.

Just an FYI. 

And Carlos Sobral uses the makersmark in the link I gave to OP , third viewing of pictures ( ebay).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264862964495

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thank you SO MUCH!

What is interesting about this bangle is that the design laps over onto the inner side, which to me gave it a unique quality.

ETA: @silverstatetreasureboxes    (one of these days I'll remember to tag).

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 9
latest reply