cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID Help for vintage Kimonos & Obi

glasswindchimes
Adventurer

Found at an estate sale.  I have 3 kimonos & 2 obi.  The salmon color obi is from a different sale, & story was it was brought back from Japan by an American teacher before WWII. The other items are from the estate of a Japanese family. All are meticulously hand sewn. I would appreciate any info about these, name of pattern? use?  

Gray brocade kimono- old, some foxing, silk crepe lining, heavy on the metallic thread

Salmon color kimono- Ikat woven..

Indigo dyed Ikat woven kimono..name of pattern or meaning?

Gold Obi-

Salmon Obi-

I appreciate any info!  Thanks-

IMG_1681.JPGIMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1696.JPGIMG_1707 (Edited).JPGIMG_1714.JPGIMG_1700.JPGIMG_1717.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

ID Help for vintage Kimonos & Obi

Authentic vintage kimonos can be viewed both in Clothing and in Collectibles/Japanese/Kimonos and Collectibles/Japanese/Obis.  I'd first look in Collectibles.

That will give you an idea of how they are presented and described, especially if you look at the SOLD pieces.

There are numerous resources available on the web to help you learn about the meanings of various kimono patterns.  To the extent that serious kimono collectors are already familiar with these, it may not be worth your while to offer up text to identify or describe the patterns. Instead, good pictures will serve you better, in my opinion.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 2 of 2
latest reply