cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to sell a damaged Pendleton Blazer?

I invested $4 in a gray Pendleton vintage wool jacket to resell and after getting it home, I noticed about 4 holes in it.

I read somewhere there are scrap collectors.  How would I sell this jacket as "scrap"?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

What is the color, style and era?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Are they moth holes?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I've done it once, I put SCRAP HOLES for CRAFTING in the title.  Mine was not Pendleton, but honestly, it wasn't worth it for me.  It sold super cheap & I don't like to sell cheap.  Though it was a fulfilling sale, in that the sweet lady who bought it sent me a pic of what she did with them & I was VERY impressed cuz I don't craft at all.  

That said, vintage Pendleton can often do very well.  So if it's just a couple of minor holes, I would list it with all hole pictured & disclosed, put FLAWS in the title & see what happens.

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

Though it was a fulfilling sale, in that the sweet lady who bought it sent me a pic of what she did with them & I was VERY impressed cuz I don't craft at all.  

That's nice, I love it when buyers do that.

One gentleman who bought an ikebana tray sent me pics of the flower arrangement using the tray that he made and entered in a show. It was breathtaking. I still message him once in a while to see if he needs more...

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Use the word "cutter" in your title and description.  
Play up the Pendleton name, and the 100% wool content. 
Is it a plaid?  Mention any other colors in it, something like "gray with black and red threads."  
Add very good clear photos of both the intact portions of the jacket and the holes and where they are located.  

If it were mine, I might consider investing in the cost of dry cleaning before taking the pictures and posting.  You have to decide if it is financially worthwhile for you.   It would help clean any dirt out of what you say is a gray jacket.   AND cleaning it before listing might help it sell.  

As for "scrap collectors" -- the word among quilters, fiber and fabric artists, etc., is "cutter."  There are fabric artists who take old garments and cut them -- thus the word "cutter" -- for applique onto something else, or to incorporate into a quilt.   I have seen some lovely piecing and quilting made with pieces from Dads' or Grandpas' old shirts and/or ties.  They might not be large enough to cover a bed like a traditional quilt, but can be made into accent pillows or even framed art.  

Hoping for the best!  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@gkn29 wrote:

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

Though it was a fulfilling sale, in that the sweet lady who bought it sent me a pic of what she did with them & I was VERY impressed cuz I don't craft at all.  

That's nice, I love it when buyers do that.

One gentleman who bought an ikebana tray sent me pics of the flower arrangement using the tray that he made and entered in a show. It was breathtaking. I still message him once in a while to see if he needs more...

Yes, I've been here since 97 & that kind of thing used to be quite common.  My lady took a sweater with a bunch of holes & made woolen mittens out of the sweater, but she also specifically took the pattern that was only in certain parts to make a nice pattern on the mittens.  So cool.  It took the smart out of what I think was a $6 sale LOL.   

I also once sold a broken figurine of a Saluki dog & since I had a similar breed, communicated with that buyer for years about Sighthounds.   The 'good old days' 🙂  Though my mitten-maker was maybe just 8 years ago. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 7 of 7
latest reply