cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import charges on used items?

i am living in Norway and i know there are import charges as of rules, but in Norwegian toll calculation site there isn't anything mentioned about  taxes on used items.

i am trying to buy a computer keyboard for gaming with US layout, it is used and it is mentioned on ebay user's page that is used, but still i get charged with 25% of import charges, i want to know where it comes from and where this money goes to?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Border fees (duty, VAT, taxes, port charges....you name it).These could be charged two ways:

1. Up front with shipping charge imposed by carrier. The fee goes in larger percentage to customs of the importers country government and the rest in shipping company's pocket to cover "manipulation" costs (custom agent fee to name one).

Post office does not charge custom agent fee separately. Cost is included in shipping charge. 

2. Importers takes fees upon themselves regulating them as the merchandise crosses the border. There might be custom agent fee, taxes, duties but.. the parcel might go through uninspected as well (it happens quite often).

The import fees charged up front however standardized it is impossible that are adjusted to current custom tables of every country in the World. This is why in cross border trade it is custom to have the importer take care of any fees imposed. You are right: in your country case it is probably overcharged.

Some sellers use shipping companies that force import charge so your best bet is ask the seller to choose shipping without such charge or find one that does not impose such a charge.

I might suggest post office, Polamer, Polonez, Altlantic Express as companies that do not charge import charges up front,

Electronics are usually reviewed at the border. There is limit (in EU 150 Euro) up which there is no duty charge. They might though charge VAT and custom agent fee.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 18
inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by,
you might live in Michigan. Jeff Foxworthy.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Border fees (duty, VAT, taxes, port charges....you name it).These could be charged two ways:

1. Up front with shipping charge imposed by carrier. The fee goes in larger percentage to customs of the importers country government and the rest in shipping company's pocket to cover "manipulation" costs (custom agent fee to name one).

Post office does not charge custom agent fee separately. Cost is included in shipping charge. 

2. Importers takes fees upon themselves regulating them as the merchandise crosses the border. There might be custom agent fee, taxes, duties but.. the parcel might go through uninspected as well (it happens quite often).

The import fees charged up front however standardized it is impossible that are adjusted to current custom tables of every country in the World. This is why in cross border trade it is custom to have the importer take care of any fees imposed. You are right: in your country case it is probably overcharged.

Some sellers use shipping companies that force import charge so your best bet is ask the seller to choose shipping without such charge or find one that does not impose such a charge.

I might suggest post office, Polamer, Polonez, Altlantic Express as companies that do not charge import charges up front,

Electronics are usually reviewed at the border. There is limit (in EU 150 Euro) up which there is no duty charge. They might though charge VAT and custom agent fee.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 18
inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by,
you might live in Michigan. Jeff Foxworthy.
Message 2 of 2
latest reply