cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes on used laptops

fadeals
Adventurer

Hello everyone,

I have bought a used laptop yesterday and I was surprised that they charged taxes for a used Item. They have charged me 52 dollars of taxes knowing that the cost of the laptop was 840 dollars. The laptop is originally for an owner from California and I live in Massachusetts. I have purchased a used desktop the last year and I have not been charged taxes for it. I was wondering when are the taxes are applied if buying used Items from eBay? is that applied only to laptops?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Taxes on used laptops

@fadeals 

Many states have passed new laws requiring online marketplaces to collect sales tax on items shipped to those states in the wake of the 2018 US Supreme Court's Wayfair v South Dakota decision. Massachusetts' law took effect in October 2019.

The law applies to almost any item purchased online from a major marketplace and shipped to the state; used items are not exempt from sales taxes. Prior to the law's passage, MA buyers were responsible for paying use tax themselves on items purchased from out of state, so the law only changed how the tax is collected.

See here for some details:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Taxes on used laptops

@fadeals 

Many states have passed new laws requiring online marketplaces to collect sales tax on items shipped to those states in the wake of the 2018 US Supreme Court's Wayfair v South Dakota decision. Massachusetts' law took effect in October 2019.

The law applies to almost any item purchased online from a major marketplace and shipped to the state; used items are not exempt from sales taxes. Prior to the law's passage, MA buyers were responsible for paying use tax themselves on items purchased from out of state, so the law only changed how the tax is collected.

See here for some details:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Taxes on used laptops

Thank you very much for the clarification 🙂
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Taxes on used laptops

You are most welcome -- good luck with your laptop.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply