cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help finding an adapter

Purchased Enesco The Dream Keeper Music Box without an adapter.  Need help finding the right adapter for the music box.  Can someone please let me know type adapter I need.  Can I purchase it on Ebay.  The music box is for my grand daughter I can give it to her without the adapter.   Crazed Grandma

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

In addition to what @mudshark61369 said, some devices use a proprietary ac/dc and will have weird voltages like 19.2 or 16.3, etc.

Note that you can't use a universal adapter with these.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@tinpel1,

If the music box can use rechargeable batteries in it, there should be a sticker or an embossed area on or near the charging port that says how many of what type of batteries are needed. If it has an AC/DC adapter port There should be info on the number of volts output the charger needed to operate the unit. If you have the instructions for the unit, that info will be in it as well.  You should be able to look up the Unit's user/instruction manual by its manufacturer's model number.

Ex:  Ensco Dreamkeeper Musical. Dreamkeeper #562491 user manual  If there is a year of manufacturer on it add that to the search. Some of those units only operated on standard battery and/or rechargeable battery power. 

If you cannot find the information, you can purchase a Universal AC adapter with variable output volts, and the most common charging tips.  If your unit has an adapter/charging port on it only one of the tips will fit. The tips plug into the charger's wire which have a multi position volt selector on it.

Do an ebay search for Universal adjustable voltage power supply AC/DC adapter with tips, and select consumer electronics as the category.  I would stay away from the ones listed by chinese sellers.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You'll need to check 3 things where the plug goes into the device

Volts

Amps

Polarity

All 3 need to match or you'll fry your device...or worse

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

OOPs the previous post needed to be revised but I ran out of time

@tinpel1,

If the music box can use rechargeable batteries in it, there should be a sticker or an embossed area on or near the charging port that says how many of what type of batteries are needed. If it has an AC/DC adapter port There should be info on the number of volts output the charger needs to operate the unit. That info would have for example" 9v input". and next to the port the symbol below

mudshark61369_0-1660146316064.jpeg

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

In addition to what @mudshark61369 said, some devices use a proprietary ac/dc and will have weird voltages like 19.2 or 16.3, etc.

Note that you can't use a universal adapter with these.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@tinpel1 

I found an ended listing for one of these music boxes that has a good clear picture of the adapter:

www.ebay.com/itm/354160343205

image.png

The transformer is model DC950. It requires input of (standard North American power supply):

• AC 120 V
  • 60 Hz
  • 8 W

and outputs:

• DC 9V
  • 500 mA

image.png

The connector jack (to plug into the back of the music box) looks like a standard stereo jack to me so hopefully not too hard to find. Maybe @gkn29 or @mudshark61369 can identify the jack more accurately because I can't remember the correct name for it.

You can try searching on eBay for < transformer model DC-950 >, but make sure that it has the correct jack. I saw one listing for a transformer with the same model #, same specifications, but a different jack that would not be compatible.

I also found another listing that had a photo of the instructions, which might be useful.

Full size link: https://community.ebay.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/789652i573A774B609FAA44/

image.png

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

It is indeed the connector (as you stated) or tip (more for universal ones that come with multiple sized tips). There's no fancy term that I'm aware of.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Pin jack plug

Message 8 of 8
latest reply