cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misleading descriptions

When browsing for Lithium batteries I became very angry that eBay would allow such deceptive advertising to be posted.

It is classic "Bait/switch" advertising.   The seller (Most battery vendors are using the same deception)  that will show a large quantity at a set price, only to find out when buying the item that the price shown is not for the picture that is displayed. 

EBAY MUST CERTAINLY BE AWARE THAT ALLOWING SUCH DECEPTION CAN COST THEM after several other "Class action" Lawsuits were successful.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Misleading descriptions

This type of thing is not allowed on ebay, however, the bots have a hard time detecting such listings and mostly have to rely on them being reported.

Ebay is working on some new ways to curtail this, but in the mean time you need to use the REPORT button on the listing. Even then it can take up to a month for the listing to be reviewed and removed.

You can report as Listing practices>Avoiding ebay fees>Offering choices, or as Listing practices>Search and browse manipulation, and put in your own comments of bait and switch.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Misleading descriptions

@invntrr wrote:

<snip>

EBAY MUST CERTAINLY BE AWARE THAT ALLOWING SUCH DECEPTION CAN COST THEM after several other "Class action" Lawsuits were successful.

@invntrr This is an honest question as I'd like further info. What successful class action lawsuits against eBay have you found? 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Misleading descriptions

None of those links have anything to do with Lithium batteries or deception by sellers.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Misleading descriptions

Get a life Rollo, I was asked what class action suits were filed against eBay.   Geezsus, 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Misleading descriptions

FYI,  there were more than a few "links" regarding "Misrepresented items"  I gave you the links but for God's sake I can't read it for you

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Misleading descriptions

This type of thing is not allowed on ebay, however, the bots have a hard time detecting such listings and mostly have to rely on them being reported.

Ebay is working on some new ways to curtail this, but in the mean time you need to use the REPORT button on the listing. Even then it can take up to a month for the listing to be reviewed and removed.

You can report as Listing practices>Avoiding ebay fees>Offering choices, or as Listing practices>Search and browse manipulation, and put in your own comments of bait and switch.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Misleading descriptions

IMO the most blatant violations occur when multiple units are pictured above the price for 1 unit.  It's confusing (unless you've already fallen for this trick).   Venders need to price their items to agree with the pictures displayed.  If there are 6 units of a product displayed they must show the price for 6 units

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Misleading descriptions

How do you suggest that eBay handle this? Certainly you are aware that no actual eBay employee reads the thousands of listings posted on eBay each day. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Misleading descriptions

I agree some item descriptions list multiple strength batteries(50ah 100ah) but there is only 1 price option. If a ebay shopper was not paying attention they could think they were purchasing a 100ah battery but it would only be 50ah. Multiple listings similar to that . People wont buy from Ebay if they cant believe the item description. I have been ebayer from the beginning.  It almost impossible to find the lowest price 12V 50Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Misleading descriptions

If its not allowed why can anyone search for lithium battery and multiple listing show with deceptive title

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Misleading descriptions

It is just one of many ongoing problems.  Even reported and taken down, more just get listed, so it is almost impossible to keep up with.  Plus many just go unreported and/or unnoticed.

Batteries are one item you never want to buy as a generic off brand item.  The ratings are usually exaggerated, the warranties are worthless, and you just will never get your money's worth no matter how little you pay.   Better to find a brand name battery you can see the manufacture date on the item or is stated.  If within a year, you'll get a decent price for a solid battery. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Misleading descriptions

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply