cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying new items (electronics) on line.

yesterday my 5th new xbox 360 power that i purchased on feb 6th and recieved feb 8th stopped working. Just like the previous 4 it doesn't send power to the xbox any more and like before i went and ordered yet another one like my 6th and 7th one. this time i ordered both (2) new power supplies from amazon in hopes of finding one that will work for longer than a month or 2. I thought maybe there was a problem with the xbox 360 its self, so i baught a new one. also each time i buy and receive the new one(power supply) it actually works and sends power to the xbox but only for a couple weeks or a month or so. I guess all the xbox 360 power supplies that are being sold on ebay and possibly amazon are just cheap knock offs. as i took the original one that came with the xbox and lasted 7 yrs or more, i took it apart and it was well made with strong thick parts, when i took apart one of the broken new ones they were chimpsily thin and not well made, hence the cheap knock offs. I don't think it is very fair to the consumers now a days to think they are buying new items and that they will last longer than a week or month or so. atleast this one lasted just over a month. Also i am sick and tired of constantly having to reship and wait and reshop etc.. i(we) as buyers shouldn't have to go thru any unesesary **bleep** when we want to buy something.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@jagersz_0 wrote:

each time i buy and receive the new one(power supply) it actually works and sends power to the xbox but only for a couple weeks or a month or so.

Do the sellers you buy from have negative feedback that would indicate they have bad quality products? If no, maybe it is a problem with your xbox drawing too much power.

Are you returning these, supposedly, defective power supplies and getting them replaced or your money back?

You have a 30 day Money Back Guarantee from ebay. You have even longer to ask for your money back from Paypal or your credit card issuer if you paid that way.

You do need to to determine if there is a problem with your xbox for your own benefit as well as the sellers. Does the power supply get very hot when using?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

One of the sellers you bought from has lots of negatives, not a good sign at all. Did you even file SNAD cases for all those defective power cords? It's a waste of money buying used ones that are third party instead of original, OEM product.

I would advise buying new, OEM power cords at a local video game shop in your area.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

When buying power supplies most that are advertised as brand new will likely be a third party unit. In my opinion its best to purchase a used OEM genuine power supply from a reputable seller. When purchasing read the listing carefully to make sure there is no segments in the description that say "third party". OEM power supplies last years and you should have little worry about buying a used one. Running a third party supply on your console is more dangerous then running with a brand new third party. Cheap third party units are not held to the safety standards that OEM units are. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I thought at first it was the xbox, so i bought a new one and it still happens. I recently went on forums on xbox live to look for answers and it was suggested to un plug the power supplys from my surge protector strip and that might be the problem and fix. none the less when you take apart any 360 power supply you will see all the recent ones have a really chimpsy weak thin fan, also on you tube i see alot of fix it videos for the xbox 360 and the xbox one power supply, so my question now is, are these units purposely being built with inferior parts as soooooo many are burning out? None the less nobody should have to keep buying new ones every month as sometimes you can return them for an exchange and sometimes just get your money back, but other times you have to eat the loss as it broke out side the 30 day time frame. Either way it all is still a huge hassle and waiting game.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@jagersz_0 wrote:

are these units purposely being built with inferior parts

Sounds like they are being built with cheap parts so they can be sold cheap. Maybe this is an example of "you get what you pay for."

@jagersz_0 wrote:

sometimes you can return them for an exchange and sometimes just get your money back, but other times you have to eat the loss as it broke out side the 30 day time frame

The "30 day time frame" is only for the eBay MBG. You have a "180 day time frame"  with paypal if you used it to pay and sometimes even more if you used a credit card depending on the type and issuer.

Even though you can get your money back, it's a hassle that you wouldn't have to deal with if you spend more money and get a good one.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply