cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ever heard of this

klvd8220
Enthusiast
I came home today and found pink depression glass relish dish Jewel pattern on the floor in pieces JUMPED off the shelf it was on ,only piece that was on the floor in many pieces the other three pieces were still sitting on the shelf .the piece has a mind of its own .like it did not want to be there any more also two Aunt Polly blue bowls broke in half in the china hutch mystery will never be solved.I have been collecting for over twenty years and never had this happen to me .Has anyone else had this happen to them ? bright side is now have room for something else
Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

ever heard of this

hedgehogzoom
Enthusiast
Wow klvd! I bet that was upsetting & scary at the same time! Nope--I've never had that happen. The only broken pieces I have ever had are due to my clumsiness. You know what "they" often say--Sometimes glass, furniture & the like have lives of their own &, if you bring one of these things into your house, their past lives may accompany them! Weird! Hedgie
Message 2 of 49
latest reply

ever heard of this

mousehollow
Enthusiast
Someone's trying really hard to get your attention...be still, quiet and see if you can figure out who it is! 'Spirits' are energy - think about what 'energy' can do...
Message 3 of 49
latest reply

ever heard of this

Something to set the tone..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5aW08ivHU&feature=related Wow, that is spooky klvd. Think those waffle bowls might have something to do with this phenomenon? :^O -- Warmest Regards, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 4 of 49
latest reply

ever heard of this

klvd8220
Enthusiast
weird thing is I have had both pieces for over ten years I thing they just wanted to be moved, bored with being in the same place for so long ha ha ha
Message 5 of 49
latest reply

ever heard of this

hedgehogzoom
Enthusiast
Well...................they're moved all right....... but what a sad ending! Hedgie
Message 6 of 49
latest reply

ever heard of this

gps500reading
Enthusiast
Well I was intrigued by this whole thing, and did some poking around on line. Yanny's "Twilight Zone" music prompted me, I must say. Wow, evidently this is not an unusual occurance, and I was led into very strange areas of the internet where I haven't been before -- discussion boards of hauntings, and alien/ufo discussion sites; the dream analysis site with all kinds of interpretations for dreaming about glass was especially a place all of us should visit!!;\ All kinds of poeple have posted questions here and there about spontaneous glass breaking. I've got to say that I'm inclined to believe perhaps there's something spiritual involved, or at least some force of energy. We wouldn't be so fascinated with our glass collecting if there weren't something spiritual about it! Despite all that I read, I'm sticking with the first thought that entered my mind when I read your posting klvd. Breaking glass, no matter the circumstances, to me is always a reminder of two things -- the beauty of life and human relationships, and the fragility of them. So klvd, consider your escapade a reminder of both and treasure both more as a result. (Now that I have finished this, I've reread it and I do sound kind of like a wacko, don't I? Must be all those sites I visited.):O Geoff
Message 7 of 49
latest reply

ever heard of this

Hi Geoff!!! I don't think you are wacko. You are a deep thinker and I can relate to that. :-x It is good to know that I'm not the only one around here who can get lost on the world wide web. Sometimes Google is a blessing and other times it can lead to exploration beyond anything we started out looking for. :^O -- Warmest Regards, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 8 of 49
latest reply

ever heard of this

mousehollow
Enthusiast
Geoff, consider yourself kissed....)) If you're wacko, I am too.... -- Edited by mousehollow at 02/08/2010 12:24 PM PST
Message 9 of 49
latest reply

ever heard of this

I dunno, if we start kissing Geoff, his wife might not want him dropping in to visit. ;-) :^O bb
Message 10 of 49
latest reply

ever heard of this

gps500reading
Enthusiast
Nah.... Bev, after almost 34 years of marriage, she would probably be glad if I dropped in more often!!! She's been trying to shake me for years! Tomorrow we're going to have a snow day, and already there's tension brewing because I'll be home messing up her routine!!]:) Anyway, I have a bit of a obsessive-compulsive streak, and this question of spontaneously breaking glass has been plaguing me. I just happened to be with a friend today, a museum professional with over 30 years curatorial experience, and I posed the question to her. Her opinion? Depression glass does not spontaneously break; it's much too strong, even for extremes of temperature within normal "home" atmospheric conditions to cause it to crack or shatter. She says that give my description of what happened from klvd's account that "vibration" is more likely, and often accounts for these kinds of "spooky" breaks. A truck passing by on a nearby highway or a low flying airplane, etc., are more likely the causes for a piece to "jump off the shelf" especially when two pieces on either side remained on the shelf. What do you think? she's a pretty experienced, rational, smart person. Sounds reasonable to me...though, the psychic energy thing is quite appealing to us glass people!:-p Talk to you guys soon. Hope the weather is treating all of you better than it is treating us here on the east coast and certainly better than its treating my son in DC! Geoff
Message 11 of 49
latest reply

ever heard of this

Ah Ha, vibrations! Your friend at the museum may very well have solved the mystery Geoff. 😄 I must admit that for one fleeting moment I considered the cause for the breakage to be a tiny earthquake. You know those ones that are barely noticeable like we sometimes have here in the East. To be honest though the supernatural explanation is more fun. :^O *** A note to Geoff's wife. I totally sympathize with you dear. Both hubby and grown son are also getting days off tomorrow because of the snow storm. These unexpected breaks in routine can cause everyone stress. I am almost happy that the first floor toilet broke yesterday, fixing it will keep them busy for most of the day. 😉 :^O -- Warmest Regards, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 12 of 49
latest reply

ever heard of this

klvd8220
Enthusiast
regarding vibrations by passing trucks the closet road is a quarter mile away from the house I live on the end of a dead end road (last house )quarter mile driveway in the middle of the woods .can not see the road even in winter so I do not think a passing trick would have done it. You do not drive down my road unless you are coming to my house as the nearest cross street is a half mile away .who knows stranger things have happened in life the only airplane that flyies over is the DNR plane and that is not until they do a deer count later in the winter
Message 13 of 49
latest reply

ever heard of this

Ah, not a truck or a plane. One more theory, frolicking puppies? I've had a framed photo crash to the floor when our Lab/Shep was thundering down the stairs for a treat. heehee ;-) Klvd, you truly do live out in the sticks don't you? It must be delightfully peaceful out there. Not like here in the Philly Burbs where there is always movement and noise. :| -- Warmest Regards, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 14 of 49
latest reply

ever heard of this

klvd8220
Enthusiast
no frolicking critters shelf was to high even for the cat to get on .Only thing that frolicks around here are deer out side they will come right up to the back deck .last night there were 15 in the yard and wife wants to move to the cities but we will stay here she dose like the noise when we vist there
Message 15 of 49
latest reply