cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dorothy Thorpe

lynnz123_1
Enthusiast
HI! I thought someone might be interested in knowing more about Dorothy Thorpe as there seems to be a lot of erroneous information out there. Dorothy Thorpe started her business in 1929. Originally she decorated blanks but by the mid 30's had her own factory which is still in business today(so buyer beware what your buying may not be old at all.) Dorothy Thorpe was the Martha Stewart of her time for the high end crowd. She invented the technique for deep etched glass that carvers use to this day. In the 1930's she was one of the first designers to coordinate complete matching lines of products including furniture, lighting, accessories, tableware and linens. I have been researching her for about 4 years now and information trickles in very slowly. Her old factory was burned down during an earthquake in the 1970's and almost all of their records were destroyed. I now have, thanks to her family,her company,museums and other collectors, a quite extensive collection of catalogues, ads, articles, etc..If anyone needs help identifying an item please feel free to contact me.
Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Dorothy Thorpe

Thanks Lynn !!! It's always great to know when our members are well versed in any specific type glass or maker. You are a sweetheart for sharing with us! That's what makes this group so terrific - Everyone sharing and helping each other. We all need a helping hand every now and then. Best Wishes, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 2 of 2
latest reply